How to avoid tinted reflection (with added retouch a la Woody)

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by Mitchell, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Any suggestions on how to avoid the cast on her cheek from the reflection off her dress? These were shot in waning light on an overcast night. All of my shots were ruined by this same reflection. A few shots with a flash don't have this, but I don't really care for the flash look in this light.

343788168_Q8d9q-XL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2008
  2. it will take post-processing, mitch
    that's why the choice of color of outfit is everything in the studio

if you pay close attention in THE CAFE.... every image has some reflection from the clothing on the face

selective color management in post-processing is the only answer.....
    but, doable, no doubt

great, dreamy shot, by the way

3. Marina

Marina Guest

Hey Mitch! She's becoming quiet a lady! Beautiful shot! I would love to see more catchlight in her eyes!!

4. That's a tough one Mitch. Not much way to prevent it from happening so that means post processing. She sure is a cutey no matter what is reflected on her.

5. The easiest and fastest way to do this would be to use the Brush tool set to Color and 50% Hardness. Set Opacity and Flow to 100%, sample a good flesh tone and paint over the offending area. It takes only a little practice and will get you 90% perfect with 10% of the work.

6. now THIS is the kind of info that will be useful, forever
    woody.... as always... thank you

7. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Great tip. Thanks so much, Woody!!

8. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I don't think the shot is ruined at all. I would love to see how Woody's suggestion fixes the problem.

9. Woody, thanks for chiming in here. I'll give this trick a try.

10. Woody, all I can say is "You da man"!!

2 minutes with your advice and the photo looks 100% better. Very useable.

349179680_NoPpw-XL.jpg

Thanks!!

11. i'll say....
    i'm glad that you have mastered woody's technique so quickly
    excellent

12. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Wow, impressive retouch.

13. The retouch is perfect! I'm adding that to my workflow for sure!

14. Wonderful help Woody and excellent work Mitch! I have quite a few photos that I've deemed "trash" b/c of color casts like this......looks like I have some rainy day fun projects now! :biggrin:

Thank you Woody, I look forward to trying this out!

15. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    I know you said that you didn't want to use a flash, but for recent sessions I have used my flash off camera with pleasing results regarding less casts and more life to the eyes.

But then, I shoot about 600 shots a week for my sessions and I will do anything to save time editing. LOL

Love Woody's results though

16. Linda,

Knowing your style of shooting, does this mean you're using the flash on a cord, and just hand holding it out away from the body? How long of a cord are you using?

17. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    I should post some shots and show, haven't been posting much lately. :redface:

For me, it wouldn't work out hand-holding it while using a D300 and the Beast, and dodging around kids. I put my SB600 on my tripod and get back and fort to position it, which works pretty well. I just put it down on a pretty short level, it gets triggered by my on-camera flash. Sometimes, if I'm in a hurry, the kid is done, the parents are done, the sun is goes down too quickly, I just resort to using the SB600 on the camera with a Lumniquest mini soft-box.
    I'll post some from the Senior session I did in a separate thread.

18. Linda, thanks for your comments.

This type of shot clearly would benefit from fill flash. The biggest problem is my horrible flash technique. I'd love to see some of what your doing.

I need to take the time to get the flash off camera. The problem I have is my shots still all look too "flashy". I've got to work on this.

19. I'm printing this one so I can get a better look at the retouch after using Woody's technique. I'll let you know.

20. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    I by no means know what I'm doing but am working on trial and error basis :biggrin: I posted some Senior shots that I made using the flash off camera.