Share How to begin making water drop photos?

Good to know! The MJKZZ can be expanded up to six valves with each providing up to three drops with each drop being individually controlled with regard to size and delay between drops.
Never used a MJKZZ so can’t comment , I’m setting up my new setup with the StopShot Studio with 12 valves but I’ll only be using 3 from below and 3 from above, going to be challenging.

Al

Real Name
Chris
Never used a MJKZZ so can’t comment , I’m setting up my new setup with the StopShot Studio with 12 valves but I’ll only be using 3 from below and 3 from above, going to be challenging.

Al
I can barely manage one valve with 2 drops haha I can’t imagine 12 valves

The manufacturer asked me to remove the Splash unit's valve and clean it. That procedure is no big deal, as it is required every time the unit is used with any liquid other than 100% water. The valve was already perfectly clean to the eye, which was to be expected considering that I had used the unit only once and only with water. Even so, I ran water through the valve from a faucet with the idea that the force of the water might remove something inside the valve that I couldn't see. After doing all of that, the unit still did not function properly.

Within a few hours of reporting that information to MIOPS, they committed to sending a new unit to me free of charge (my unit is still under warranty). I'm looking forward to getting on with Phase 2 of my little adventure into water drop photography, especially considering that Phase 1 was so short-lived.

Drip, drip, drip. Drop, drop, drop. :)

Apologies to the Cafe Drinking Support Team that I had no use for them over the weekend. ? ?
Mike just read this and if you still have the problem or if it returns dismantled the valve and stretch the spring that is a common problem and it should fix the dripping.

Al

dismantle the valve and stretch the spring

Thanks, Al! I'm not a handy man or a DIY kind of guy, but I'll try that and let you know how it works.

It's interesting that when MIOPS authorized my refund and told me to keep both units, they told me that I might want to replace the valve with a metal one. If they think a non-metal valve is causing me a problem, that indicates to me that they might have experienced my situation with enough customers that they are considering changing the valve to one made of metal.

Thanks, Al! I'm not a handy man or a DIY kind of guy, but I'll try that and let you know how it works.
it’s pretty easy just undo the 14mm nut remove the head remove the valve get the spring and stretch it so it’s about a third of its length longer then reassemble, easy peasy.

You could get a good quality one and replace the solenoid just do a google search as long as it’s the same size and thread size.

Al

I'm getting a real kick out of reading the Ultimate Guide mentioned earlier in the thread. I've already ordered some products mentioned in it and even found a black tray that is the ideal size according to that ebook.
Mike with the tray to get good reflections you need one that is really long like about 800mm long (2.6 feet) and position the camera low so the front and back ledge of the tray is out of view and mount a flash unit on either side of the water drop.
Al

the tray to get good reflections you need one that is really long like about 800mm long (2.6 feet)

That's interesting, Al. Corrie White wrote the following in her Ultimate Guide:

"The short black tray measures – 41 cm. (16”) x 28 cm.(11”) x 6 cm.(2 1/2”) deep...I find this tray just a bit short for reflections. I just received a new tray, made of plexiglass – 65 cm.(25 1/2”) x 29 cm.(11 1/2”) x 7 ½ cm.(3”) deep x 6 mm (1/4”)thick...Ideally, I would like something in between these two. I find that the large tank is too deep, takes too much water, and being this long, the water takes too long to settle between drops. Also, there is a far longer area to cover with the flashes, which makes it more difficult to arrange the light evenly."

Taking her information into account I bought a tray that is 19.5" x 11.5" x 1".

When a drop falls into the tank, does the height where the drop is dispensed affect how far it falls below the surface of the liquid in the tank below?
The height of the drop can be controlled by the depth of the water in the tray and also by the controller (how long the valve is opened) in milliseconds.
(is that what you mean)
Just looking at the MJKZZ site and I’m thinking you should go with them and he has good feedback.

Al

The height of the drop can be controlled by the depth of the water in the tray and also by the controller (how long the valve is opened) in milliseconds.
(is that what you mean)

No, I'll try to be clearer this time: The drop is released from a certain height above the liquid in the tray. Does that height affect how far it falls below the surface of the liquid in the tank?

Just looking at the MJKZZ site and I’m thinking you should go with them and he has good feedback.

That's very reassuring. Thanks!

No, I'll try to be clearer this time: The drop is released from a certain height above the liquid in the tray. Does that height affect how far it falls below the surface of the liquid in the tank?

That's very reassuring. Thanks!
I would say yes, the longer the drop is falling the more speed it gathers so yes it would penetrate deeper into the tank.
Whatever you do don’t go and join this page,,,,,,,https://www.facebook.com/groups/487..._id=1580014934297368&notif_t=group_highlights

Al

Al,

I did as you suggested for the first MIOPS unit I received: I stretched the spring so that when it returned, it was about one-third longer than before. I put everything back together and tried it. Still the same problem. Then I stretched the spring so it became about 50% longer than its original size. Still didn't work. Then I stretched the spring so it became twice as long as its original size. Still the same problem.

Just for kicks, I tried again using the second MIOPS unit I received, which had the same problem as the first unit. Also, after telling the controller to release a drop, I had to exit the app and reopen it before I could tell it to release another drop. That happened perpetually the first day I tried using it and it happened again tonight.

Despite that I enjoy using my wireless MIOPS device that releases the camera's shutter using several methods, I'm going to move on to the MJKZZ starter water drop kit. That company is closed apparently for the Chinese New Year, so it will be February by the time I receive it.

Latest threads

Top Bottom