How to build a better bounce card

I was checking out the "How to build a better bounce card" videos on Youtube and had a brainfart. I was thinking..."I've got 2 Gary Fong lightspheres". So, out to the garage and get the little air saw and chop half off one of the diffusers. Here are a couple pics I took with it, and one of the chop job. I actually think the last one (where the opening of the diffuser is to the rear) came out the best. So maybe it wasn't a great idea...but once I thought of it, had to try it.

#1 Direct flash.
3354930222_a38b5c21ff_m.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#2 Opening toward helmet. View attachment 335167

#3 Opening away from helmet.
3354932876_11d86f192c_m.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#4 Chop job. View attachment 335169

That actually looks pretty good. But I don't see a big difference between #2 and #3, it looks like the forward light is not falling on the helmet (may be it's lower?).

May be Wayne or Frank can chime in...

Man that was dumb!!!

:p jk

ABBC is a good thing to use in a pinch sometimes, and so easy to store.. probably one of the reasons I never got the fong, just took up too much space.

Man that was dumb!!!

:p jk

ABBC is a good thing to use in a pinch sometimes, and so easy to store.. probably one of the reasons I never got the fong, just took up too much space.

I will definately get some paper and make a few, much easier to tote around than the lightsphere. And yes, it was dumb...but I was bored, and had 2. :biggrin:

I can't afford to chop up diffusers like that =( haha

*see above about "had 2" . :biggrin:

I hope you got the lightsphere for free.

I don't have a lot of good things to say about Gary Fong.

1 bad experience.

I learned my lesson.

My thought would be "why chop up a $50 GF diffuser when you can build six BBC's for 69 cents? I carry two or three BBC's with me wherever I go with my camera equipment. They are easy to pack in my backback and work great. I can think of no reason that I would want to chop up a GF diffuser even though I have two of them. The BBC lays flat and only needs a rubber band to mount to to my flash (s).

Never got into the lightspheres due to their size, but I have seen some good work done by users. I like the results and ease of use that the cool-foam BBCs provide, plus that fact that they lay flat in the camera case. One minor issue I had was that in the larger sized images the catchlight in the eye sometimes showed up as a big square. Not unexpected in digital images where the reflector has square corners. I cut the top corners and round them off a bit. This makes for a more rounded look that I prefer in the eye's catchlights.

My thought would be "why chop up a $50 GF diffuser when you can build six BBC's for 69 cents? I carry two or three BBC's with me wherever I go with my camera equipment. They are easy to pack in my backback and work great. I can think of no reason that I would want to chop up a GF diffuser even though I have two of them. The BBC lays flat and only needs a rubber band to mount to to my flash (s).

I didn't pay $50 for it, I have two of them, and why not?? It was a shot that I wanted to take. I plan on making some bounce cards out of different material that will be easier to tote around. Honestly, I don't use the lightshperes much because of their size, hard to pack in the bag. And, as someone pointed out in an earlier post here, GF is making a piece that is just about what I did to my lightsphere...I just didn't know it at the time. Oh well, it was a thought.

G

garyosborne

I have a lightsphere....cheap ripoff (lambency). I quite like it, i line it with paper to control where the light goes to stop wastage. I wouldn't do this but props to the OP for sharing the results

Latest threads

Top Bottom