1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

How to clean 14-24 mm f2.8 front element?!

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Borut, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Borut

Borut

Dec 1, 2007
    Slovenia
    Hey,

the waterdrops have dried on the front element of my 14-24 f2.8 mm lens, and there are traces left on it, like small spots of chlor maybe... any suggestions how to clean the front element without hurting it. I'm wondering if the front element has some kind of coat (nano coating) wich could be damaged with alcohol cleaning... please help, its anoying :) 

tnx

Borut

2. Nano coating is indeed soft, but Nikon only uses it on inside surfaces that can't be touched. Follow normal lens cleaning procedures. Blow off all loose dust/particles, wipe lightly with wet tissue, followed by dry. Repeat as necessary to cover the whole front element. Make sure lens tissue is clean--do not use tissue which has been riding around unprotected in the side pocket of a camera bag or backpack for 3 years.

3. strawman

strawman

Mar 24, 2006
    Missoula, MT
    I use lens pens for 99% of my lens cleaning. Love them.

4. Average Joe

Average Joe

May 19, 2009
    here
    +1 for the lens pen

5. ArtScott

ArtScott

Jul 11, 2009
    WICHITA, KS
    ++1 + Zeiss Lens tissues(prewetted)...............

6. Ronald M

Ronald M

Nov 10, 2008
    Chicago
    Second Pluton. Add no home made solutions to cleaning liquids like eyeglass cleaner, amonia, windex, or any other material product made for household use.

Distilled water is best if you have nothing else. Tap is second best.

Reread Pluton again and follow exactly.

The Zeiss liquid spray from B&H is good if you spray on the cloth or paper. NEVER spray aynthing on a lens unless you want to risk it going inside from the edges at which point you are screwed.

7. I use B&W microfibre, recommand it highly. Also suggest any other good quality MF cloth - must be thick and dense. IMO MF you would use with reading glasses like Pentax not good for stubborn stains. If you need to moisten just breath blow.

8. kichu

kichu

Oct 25, 2008
    Europe
    i use breath blow + good microfibre cloth most of the time

as a backup i have zeiss lens clean spray (to be used on cloth not directly on lens)

9. Rocket blower then hot breath and 100% linen cloth. 40 yrs of cleanin' lenses, hasn't scratched yet.
    Lil old lady told me this was how she cleaned her Waterford crystal, who'm I to argue with that? :biggrin:

10. LSSE

LSSE Guest

I use the nikon branded cleaning spray with a MF cloth (also nikon branded) when the lens has some sort of matter that doesn't get blown off by air.

11. GH41

GH41

Nov 18, 2008
    HHI
    If the water spots left calcium deposits you may be screwed if you use a lens cleaning fluid. If the spots were on my car windshield I would use white viniger if they hadn't been there long. If I owned a 14-24 I would take it to a professional! The problem is you are trying to remove deposits that are hard. Scrubbing no matter how lightly will scratch the lens. Leave it to a pro. You aren't talking abought a finger print. GH

12. Etherized

Etherized

Jan 21, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    I use a Nikon Lens Pen

13. LSSE

LSSE Guest

that is true at a very small magnification level, but the question really is if it will get scratched in a way that's visible or even affect IQ. If you take it to a pro, it better be a pro with a high end clean room and some sort of inoizer to remove the dust w/o scrubbing or apply some chemical targeting the specific bond of the substance w/o scrubbing. I'd bet most pros will scrub it with solution and MF cloths just like anybody else would and you'd never even know, and yes, there will be microscopic scratches which I suppose if you claned it this way a few thousand times for a few decades, it may affect something...yet that's just normal wear and tear any item has.

I have also gotten water deposits on mine from snow and other stuff. After getting rid of the dust which is what actually scratches things, a simple gentle cleaning does quite well.
    3273683218_f375008dab_b.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

14. Borut

Borut

Dec 1, 2007
    Slovenia
    Than you guys for all, i will try with lens pen and will tell you how it works :) 

Bor

15. Rob T

Rob T

Aug 27, 2008
    SoCal
    You learn something new every day. I didn't even know about the Lens Pen.

16. Wileec

Wileec Guest

Another vote for the Lens Pens. Been using them for ten years. Great for those elements that won't blow off. I nearly always have a rocket blower with me, to keep the loose stuff off, but sometimes the front of my lenses needs a little more help. I choose not to use "protective" filters, so it's key to keep the lens clean.

17. Rob T

Rob T

Aug 27, 2008
    SoCal
    I just ordered one off of eBay after reading the comments here. I don't use protective filters on any of my glass either.

18. Lens pen is great, but just make sure you get as much dust off the front element first (with a blower) before using the lens pen! Ditto for microfibre cloth.

19. I clean the dust with a blower brush then use the Zeiss Lens tissues. The cap on the 14/24 can collect dust, make sure it's proteccted and placed open end down when off the lens. Nikon needs to improve that crap cap, I went to a bonnet cover like on the 300 f4 AF-D.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.