How to clean a carbon fiber lens hood?

The other day, shooting with the 500vr, I stepped (fell) into muck and later realized that I got muck splashed on the inside of the carbon fiber hood. When attempting to clean, I smudged it. Does anyone have experience/recommendations on how to clean dried mud/muck from the inside of the carbon fiber hood? Can it be washed off? Could I use soap?

CF is impervious to water. It is used for masts on model sailboats.

I would just take it off the lens and soak the mud of and finish with an old tooth brush.

Use caution if there are other materials on the shade such a threads from metal. In that case, only soak the CF portion. To be extra safe, cover the metal with silicone paste or petroleum jelly.

Thanks. I`d wash down the outer side only with water, and dry immediately.Try a small area first. My assumption is based on the fact that Nikon must have made it to stand up to rain. Worth a check beforehand.

$8,700 lens and a question like this???? I am not sure about this place! GH

Kerim -

I don't know what the anti-reflective coating on the interior of your lens hood might be made from, but . . .

why not ask Nikon Support?

That's my suggestion, too. The anti-reflective coating I've seen are easily damaged, so be careful. It may be better to just leave a little dirt on it ('cause it's sure to happen again).

Update

Update for anyone else that might have the same question in the future:

Nikon answered:

Thank you for writing Nikon. We would suggest washing it off with water using a toothbrush lightly and dry it well afterward.

Thank you,
Joy N
Nikon Support

Here's what I did:

1. Lightly dry brushed the mud with a toothbrush
2. Soaked it in warm water for 5 minutes
3. Brushed the mud wet.
4. Added some dish-washing liquid, soaked for another 5 minutes
5. Brushed again - rinsed
6. Wiped dry with microfiber cloth
7. Dried with a hairdryer (no heat)
8. AS GOOD AS NEW!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom