how to copyright or sign images?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by marc, May 1, 2005.

1. marc

marc Guest

this is a dumb question, i have never felt a need to sign or place a copyright, name on image.

now i want to do that

how? cannot figure it out in ps, or can NV, NC or picturepoint do it?

help please

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Marc,

In Photoshop which I use now, or Paint Shop Pro which I used in the past, there is a text tool that allows the addition of text to any image. All you have to do is select this tool, and add your signature to the image that you have open, and save the results.

You can get fancier, but that is the most straightforward method.

Frank

3. marc

marc Guest

signing images

what do you do if you want to do 300

a batch or just select all

also, what about copyright symbol

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Marc,

That would probably take an action, but I'm not the best person to ask. I know that it can be done though. Keep asking and someone that know the answer will chime in.

If not, then I can look into it for you. Just let me know.

Frank

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks for the link Virginia!!

Frank

6. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Opaque watermark - C/P into Word or whatever you use

1. Open an image.

2. Select the text tool and click on the image where you want to place the text.

3. In the text entry dialog, type the copyright symbol or any other text you want to use for a watermark.

4. Still in the text entry dialog, highlight the text by dragging across it and set the font, text size and formatting as desired.

5. With the text still highlighted, click the color swatch and set the text color to 50% gray (RGB values 128-128-128).

6. Still in the text entry dialog, make sure create as vector is selected, then click OK to place the text.

7. Scale and position the text if necessary.

8. After positioning the text go to Layers > Convert to Raster. You will not be able to edit the text after this step.

9. Go to Image > Effects > Inner Bevel.

10. In the inner bevel options, set the Bevel to the second choice, width=2, smoothness=30, depth=15, ambiance=0, shininess=10, light color=white, angle=315, intensity=50, elevation=30.

11. Click OK to apply the inner bevel.

12. Go to Layers > Properties and set the Blend Mode to Hard Light.

Tips:

1. The bevel settings above work well for large text sizes. You may need to adjust the values according to your text size.

2. Experiment with different bevel settings for different effects. When you find settings you like, use the "Save As..." button to save them for future use.

3. The hard light blend mode causes any pixels that are 50% gray to become invisible. When choosing bevel options, avoid shifting the overall color too much from the original 50% gray. The light elevation setting can shift the overall color.

4. You are not restricted to text for this effect. Try using a logo or symbol as a watermark. If you use the same watermark often, save it to a file that can be dropped into an image any time you need it.

5. The Windows keyboard shortcut for the copyright (©) symbol is Alt+0169.

Alternate

1. Click "Create New Set" in the Action panel

2. Name the action: Copyrights

3. Click "Create New Action"

4. Name this according to the photographer and what color text you are using i.e. Jan A. Allinder [white]

5. Open the image

6. Verify the image is rotated properly and is the correct image size.

7. Start Recording your Action

8. Select the Text tool, font, font size & font color (in this example - white)

9. Click anywhere on the image and enter your copyright
    (Copyright Symbol: PC Users - ALT+0169 -> use numeric keypad; MAC Users - OPTION + G) i.e. © Jan A. Allinder

10. Choose Select > All

11. Choose Layer > Align to Selection > Bottom Edges

12. Choose Layer > Align to Selection > Right Edges

13. Choose Select > Deselect

14. Select the Move tool (Make sure the Type layer is selected)

15. Holding down the Shift key and using the arrow buttons, click on the Left arrow twice and the Up arrow twice

16. Depending upon how you would like to save your image...

• If you would like to save the image with layers, chose File>Save & click save. This will save your image as a PhotoShop (PSD) image in the same directory as the original image

• If you would like to save your image as a JPG image, chose Layer>Flatten Image and then choose File>Save. NOTE: This will overwrite your original JPG image

• If you would like to save your image for the web, chose File>Save for Web. NOTE: With this option, when you run in batch mode, you'll be prompted to enter a file name for each and every image

17. Stop Recording your Action.

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Wow Larry, that's a great little tutorial you've put together. I already have my sig automated into my process, but there were several formatting steps that I wanted to do, but didn't know how. I think you covered them all. :lol:

Thanks!!

Frank

8. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    This is why I love the cafe and the wealth of knowledge that comes with it.

Awesome!

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Larry,

That is wonderful. Thank You very much.

Very kind of you

10. marc

marc Guest

11. marc

marc Guest