How to crop after adjusting horizon/rotating pics?

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by yahtzee, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Just got back from our beach vacation in Duck, NC. Took almost 900 pics and was able to get all 5 couples family portraits done on the dunes at the beach over the course of the week.

I need to rotate a few of the pics in CS3 but don't want to change any of the dimensions of the pics. How do I accomplish this? Thanks.

2. I know how to rotate the image..I am trying to determine the best way to crop it once it has been rotated so that it doesn't change the dimensions of the pic. Can I just use the box tool and highlight the area and then "crop"? I realize the little bits of the edges that I have cropped will be lost but will it effect image quality at all?

3. Select the crop tool, then at the top of the screen click the 'front image' button, that will get your crop tool to the dimensions of the photo.

THEN rotate...

Now do your thing with the crop tool and it will keep the orginal aspect ratio. I do it all the time :)

4. Perfect! Thanks!

5. That's the way I do it. Works like a charm.

For quick and dirty rotations, you can rotate your cropped selection with the transform handles after you select the crop with the proper aspect ratio.

6. Use the Marquis tool (if I understand what you are asking). Just put the aspect ratio that you want in the boxes and select fixed ratio.