How to disable new Windows 10 "Hello" PIN setup?

Beginning yesterday, Windows 10 asks me to configure the new "Hello" PIN. Is there any way to disable that process? As it is, it only allows me to go through a few clicks to get to the point that I can tell the system I'll deal with it later. I've looked for a way to attend to this issue but nothing I find matches my system.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Click the Settings button (bottom right corner) then All Settings then Accounts.
Click on Sign-in Options (on the left) then click on Hello PIN. Check this has not been added. Perhaps you already have it and you can remove it.
Also click on Password, and it should tell you that you are all set up to use your password.

I can only think that it told you about the Hello PIN option and you agreed to have it. I think it suggested it to me at some point.

(I don't use any login security for my desktops. I never enter a password. I take the view that if someone can get to my PC they can simply steal it and won't need a login as they can extract all the data. But I do have all my important data strongly encrypted, so it doesn't matter if it is stolen.)

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I found this on the internet:
- Log on, cancel the PIN prompt. Then, when you're at the desktop, click the Windows Defender Security Centre icon on the tray (i.e. go to Security Dashboard). Under "Account Protection", it should say "Set up Windows Hello for faster, more secure sign-in". If you click "Set-up", it will prompt you to set up a pin, so don't do that. Instead, click "Dismiss" and that should be that.

I don't see the problem because I never set up my computers to use a Windows Account. I always use a local account. This makes me independent of Microsoft. If they lose or corrupt their user database I will still be able to use my computers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
And what happens when you look where I told you to?
I explained that in my previous post. Perhaps to clarify it, when I looked where you told me to click on Hello PIN and check to make sure it had not been added, it had not been added.

I'll try your next suggestion and get back to you.

Last edited:
- Log on, cancel the PIN prompt. Then, when you're at the desktop, click the Windows Defender Security Centre icon on the tray (i.e. go to Security Dashboard). Under "Account Protection", it should say "Set up Windows Hello for faster, more secure sign-in". If you click "Set-up", it will prompt you to set up a pin, so don't do that. Instead, click "Dismiss" and that should be that.
All of that went fine.

The problem is that when I restart the computer, the same sequence of screens appears and there is no opportunity to permanently disable them. When I then return to the Account Protection's thing about setting up Windows Hello, it now confirms that "Windows Hello is not set up." It didn't say that before I clicked "Dismiss" as you explained, so that part worked. It's just that Windows seemingly is insistent upon me setting up the Hello PIN and I'm not going to do it. If I have to wade through three screens every time I boot up or wake up the computer, so be it.

Thanks for all your help, as always!

I'm happy to report a great outcome that Richard's solution made happen: The screens pertaining to setting the Hello PIN are now being forced upon me only upon boot up, no longer upon waking the computer up. Considering that I wake the machine up many times every day and that I boot up only about once every two or three days, that's a significant improvement!

I'm way late to the party here, but I think I read recently that MS is trying for force as many people as they can to use the online accounts. As I recall, those using the Pro edition of Windows 10 have more latitude in declining this "feature" than those using Home. For now.

Press the Window button and R at same time. Type in netplwiz. Un-tick the box on top and make sure your email address is shown as administrator.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Press the Window button and R at same time. Type in netplwiz. Un-tick the box on top and make sure your email address is shown as administrator.
No, that's something different. But it is very useful feature for some. It lets you login automatically to an account when the machine is turned on. It removes the login security.

I have not read what Lucky Duck thinks he has seen. @Lucky Duck, if you find where you have seen this please tell us.

I use local accounts for the login for all my computers, although I have a Microsoft account. It avoids the risk of a screw-up by Microsoft stopping me using my computers (however unlikely that may be).

The setting for using a Local vs Microsoft account is under All settings/Accounts. It is quite easy to change between them, but if you are unsure what you are doing it is best to leave it alone.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Ahem.....there's a better solution: ditch Windows altogether and go with a Mac! :D :D (Sorry, just could not resist!)
I am sure that your computer is tightly linked to Apple, your Apple ID, and the many services they provide.
So switching to a Mac in order to break all ties to the system provider would actually be rather harder rather than easier.

(I thought all those old online argunents about Win vs Mac had died out some years ago. Can't we learn to love them both, and Linux too?)

Last edited:
I have not read what Lucky Duck thinks he has seen. @Lucky Duck, if you find where you have seen this please tell us.
None of these are the exact article I read but they address the topic. Not much differentiation is made between Home/Pro/Enterprise regarding the change of policy, but there is a current work-around no matter which version is being installed (disconnect from the internet during setup or create the MS account and then delete it later). It's not hard to imagine that this option will eventually be removed although the Enterprise edition may remain immune.

https://www.howtogeek.com/442609/confirmed-windows-10-setup-now-prevents-local-account-creation/
https://betanews.com/2019/10/02/windows-10-local-account-hidden/
https://www.laptopmag.com/news/wind...enforcement-is-expanding-and-people-are-angry

Sorry if this is old news for some. I recently did a clean install of Win10 Pro on my wife's desktop and did not need to jump through any hoops to create the local acct., which is why this info surprised and disappointed me.

Last edited:

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
None of these are the exact article I read but they address the topic. Not much differentiation is made between Home/Pro/Enterprise regarding the change of policy, but there is a current work-around no matter which version is being installed (disconnect from the internet during setup or create the MS account and then delete it later). It's not hard to imagine that this option will eventually be removed although the Enterprise edition may remain immune.

https://www.howtogeek.com/442609/confirmed-windows-10-setup-now-prevents-local-account-creation/
https://betanews.com/2019/10/02/windows-10-local-account-hidden/
https://www.laptopmag.com/news/wind...enforcement-is-expanding-and-people-are-angry

Sorry if this is old news for some. I recently did a clean install of Win10 Pro on my wife's desktop and did not need to jump through any hoops to create the local acct., which is why this info surprised and disappointed me.
Thanks, yes I realise now I have seen this but it was so easy to get converted to a local account anyway that I forgot about it.
All they are doing is making you sign in to a Microsoft account when you do the initial install. I have no objection to this, as I am happy for Microsoft to have a record of my machines and their licensing. Then you simply go through the Account menu to swirtch to a local account, and that is it.
You don't need to delete the Microsoft account, in fact it would be a very bad idea to do this before converting to a local account.
All my computers are on local accounts. I can't see them ever stopping this. I think many people benefit from setting up a Microsoft account by default - they may be starting from scratch and want email as well.

Richard, I've never set up anything other than a local acct. during installs and my computers are activated without any input or action on my part. This seems to imply that MS has a record of your machines and licensing regardless of which method is chosen. This online/local account business seems harmless enough now, but it may be a prelude to a subscription model (says my inner cynic).

Last edited:

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Richard, I've never set up anything other than a local acct. during installs and my computers are activated without any input or action on my part. This seems to imply that MS has a record of your machines and licensing regardless of which method is chosen. This online/local account business seems harmless enough now, but it may be a prelude to a subscription model (says my inner cynic).
The information stored in the account can be used to help fix subsequent licensing problems - if the normal system (which is separate as you say) decides to invalidate your licence. This happened once to me after making some hardware changes.
I'm not suspicious, Microsoft get money from every new machine anyway and their main revenue is business related and Office.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom