How to distinguish US/imported D80?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by nykonian, Jul 14, 2007.

1. nykonian

nykonian

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Is there anyway to distinguish a US or gray market D80 by looking at the S/N? I understand that the serial numbers for USA lenses start with "US".

2. DDeFendi

DDeFendi Guest

When I registered my D80 in the beginning of June I was wondering the same thing... While purchasing the extended warranty from Nikon I asked that question and was told that Nikon knows which serial numbers go to US Distributors and which are headed for the gray market..

3. MrsWeidner

MrsWeidner Guest

What is this Gray market that we hear so much about? I mean, at some point, Nikon produced them... so are they like 2nds or what?

4. nykonian

nykonian

May 4, 2007
    New York
    The lenses can be told easily between USA or Gray Market, but the camera body is difficult to tell.

5. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    I bought a grey market 18-70 from BH and my lens SN starts with US. so either they ran out/messed up and sent me a usa copy (sweet!) or that SN doesnt really mean usa lens.

6. No, they are just as good as the "non grey" stuff. The problem is they were not imported by NikonUSA but by yet another third party (NikonUSA is not part of Nikon). It's less of a problem elsewhere in the world where Nikon distributors tend to be part of the overall Nikon Corporation.

Oh, and ALL D80s in the US are imported. :)

Ronnie