1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

How to get 9 FPS on D850 on a budget

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by rick_reno, Jan 13, 2018.

1. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho

• Like Like x 2
  2. Good to know.

3. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    If anyone finds that Wasabi charger shown in the video, please post a URL where it can be found.

4. turboBB

turboBB

Feb 28, 2013
    NJ, USA
    Hey there, thanks for posting this, I'm the author of the vid. I just checked and it seems that the Wasabi charger is no longer available (I purchased mine back in May 2016):
    https://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-Battery-MH-26aAK-EN-EL18a/dp/B0131NS2XO/

It's also sold out at bluenook which seems to be the official site for Wasabi Power:
    Wasabi Power Dual Battery Charger for Nikon MH-26

But perhaps you can contact them about it. (EDIT: I emailed them about it - will post back when they reply).

There are other aftermarket ones but I don't have 1st hand experience with them. May get a few for testing in the future though and will post back results then (no ETA though...). DSTE would be my first choice since I've tried a few of their products in the past with good results.

5. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    Great job with that video. I wouldn't need a dual charger, a single would do. I haven't looked for a single yet.

6. turboBB

turboBB

Feb 28, 2013
    NJ, USA
    Thx, I haven't found a single EN-EL18 charger but definitely on the lookout for various alternatives. As a follow up to the OP, it's slightly incorrect to put D850 since my vid covers the MB-D18 explicitly which is anything but budget... lol
    A true budget alternative for D850 would be an aftermarket grip like MCOPlus (~$60) which I've successfully tested with the grey DSTE to yield 9FPS.

Anyways, some additional musings:

I don't believe 8 x AA's will net 9FPS (at least not with NiMh which I've tested with Eneloop XX). Though I haven't completed my testing, I believe the 9FPS is triggered by the voltage but there's always a caveat since:

(all v is nominal)
    AA (NimH) = 8 x 1.2v = 9.6v = 7FPS
    *EN-EL15 = 2 x 3.5v = 7.0v = 7FPS
    EN-EL18 = 3 x 3.6v = 10.8v = 9FPS but as you saw, depends on which version of the DSTE was being used (Grey = 9FPS, Black = 7FPS) and thus I mentioned the caveat about the voltage since these are purportedly both outputting 10.8v

I have yet to test:
    AA (Alk/Lithium) = 8 x 1.5 = 12v (however Alkaline's are notorious for voltage sag under load)

I also don't believe the 9FPS is triggered by current since when hooked up to the wired adapter which outputs 9v/4.5A it still only achieves 7FPS.

Interesting thing I discovered is that with the grey DSTE installed (the one that got 9FPS), if I leave the latch on the BL5 open, it only yields 7FPS. Once I fully close the latch, it goes back to 9FPS. I've dissected a few of their grips apart and do notice that there is a leaf spring switch that is triggered by this latch but never did find out what purpose it served since the camera operated normally with the latch open or closed. The MB-D18 is the first time I've noticed that the latch's position actually makes a difference (namely 7FPS vs. 9FPS).

More testing to come but would be happy to hear other user's experiences on this as well.

*re: EN-EL15 voltage, Nikon seems to have an issue spec'ing this correctly since normal LiIon cells = 3.6v but they seem to be using 3.5v instead but regardless their Wh rating is off since they claim 14Wh which would be overstating with either 3.5v x 2 (x 1.9Ah) = 13.3Wh or 3.6v x 2 (x1.9Ah) = 13.68Wh. In the end, shots capability is still rated by CIPA standards so I guess it really doesn't matter except for geeks like myself... biggrin.

Cheers,
    Tim

• Like Like x 1
  7. This is awesome i have been wondering if this would work, thank you for testing and posting!

8. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    Tim, great effort. Your efforts are the only ones I've seen, thanks for doing this and sharing the results. There is a thread on FM about your work too...that's where I first saw it.

9. turboBB

turboBB

Feb 28, 2013
    NJ, USA
    Thanks for feedback guys. Terry from Bluenook just replied re: the Wasabi charger:
    "Production has not stopped, we are just out of stock until the middle of February. The D850 happened and has made that a very popular charger. We should have the charger listed again in 1 week or a week and a half."

So it sounds like it should be available again shortly for those interested. I do also have DSTE's equivalent charger/grip inbound and will update this thread once I get them.

Cheers,
    Tim

10. photobrad

photobrad

Oct 1, 2008
    Florida
    as stated...just get a 3rd party grip and add in a dste battery and you are all set for about a hundred bucks total...

11. turboBB

turboBB

Feb 28, 2013
    NJ, USA
    as stated...the OP title is a little misleading hence my intentional use of "MB-D18" and not "D850" in my vid (it was targeted at those who own/prefer OEM). However, speaking of 3rd party grips, have confirmed that both the MCOPlus and DSTE brands both get 9FPS w/the grey DSTE battery. I have a Wasabi battery inbound next month and will put together a compilation of all 3rd party parts that are compatible.

In the meanwhile, I had ordered some blank AA cells hoping to use 3 x 14500 IMR's in the AA holder with 5 blanks but couldn't get that to work (might be cell contact issues due to flat top's). I did this more to satisfy my curiosity but it would've been the cheapest way:
    Generic grip: ~$60
    3 x 14500 IMR's: $6
    5 x dummy AA: $6.14 (actually comes in pack of 8 off ebay)

For grand total of $72.14 (if it had worked though it certainly wouldn't have yielded many shots)

EDIT: Got them to work, it was due to contact issues, however, despite being IMR's simply not enough current supply (I guess due to high internal resistance) for 9FPS.

Would love if a 3rd party could create a custom 3 x 18650 holder in same mold as EN-EL18 thus allowing use of high-capacity/current cells of one's choice. Anyone with 3D printer care to try? I'll be guinea pig. ;) 

P.S. I'd love to acquire some dead original Nikon EN-EL15's (Li-ion 20) and EN-EL18's. Please PM if you have any to sell/donate.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  12. ralittle2

ralittle2

Mar 16, 2018
    I don't appear to be getting 9 fps and I'm trying to figure out why. I purchased the DSTE grip, a Nikon 18 en-el battery, and a Wasabi charger. The D850 display shows 7 fps when I choose the info button, and it sounds like 7 fps. I also went into the camera settings and choose lithium ion as the battery type for the grip. Ideas? TIA

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  13. ralittle2

ralittle2

Mar 16, 2018
    I took another look at the battery type, and the only options listed for the MB-D18 grip are: LR6, HR6 and FR6 (all AA). Is my camera not recognizing the battery, or am I missing something else?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  14. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    I read somewhere that the FW update had messed up getting 9 fps with non-Nikon grips.

15. I have the Wasabi charger, Wasabi En-El18, DSTE BL-5, and Mcoplus MB-D18. I also get 9fps, and the grip is awesome.

Edit: FW = 1.01
    This has been debunked.

16. Leave it on LR6. Make sure you're set to CH, not CL.

17. ralittle2

ralittle2

Mar 16, 2018
    Thanks, I switched it back to LR6, but I'm still seeing 7 fps on the info screen.

18. Make sure the release mode dial is set to Ch.

19. ralittle2

ralittle2

Mar 16, 2018
    Thanks for your response, but I was notified that Thom Hogan mentioned in an article that the grip needs to be very, very securely tightened in order to get the 9 fps otherwise you'll get 7. I tightened it, and guess what?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.