How to light this

I am setting up to do high speed video of water drops etc.

Nothing in the same league as Fishbait has done.

I have a 90FPS camera and have it mounted to a Nikon 105 F2.8 Micro lens.

What I need to know is what lightning I should get to do this.

Many years ago I tried (unsuccessfully as it turned out) shooting stills of waterdroplets using a pulsing strobe light, and it can also be done using a flash combined with an photocell-type trigger. For video, I don't know exactly how you would light it, but a good starting point might be to set up a small dish of water with a stationary target in it, and try lighting it with a desk lamp or some such placed as close as possible, but out of camera range. Then shoot some video and check if that light source is strong enough. At least that way you'll have a reference point to work from.
Of course you might also try Googling High Speed Video or whatever and see what comes up.
This type of photograpy was pioneered by Dr. Harold Edgerton in the 1930s or 1940s and he had a number of photos in Life Magazine years ago which showed many things that had never been seen before. Google him and you'll be amazed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have all the necessary tools for doing water drops I just need to know what lights I will need, I'll google High Speed Video and see what comes up,,,,,,thanks rbsinto

Video just needs continuous lights (incandescent, etc), they just have to be on. High speed implies a little brighter lights, since the shutter speed is necessarily faster, 1/90 second instead of 1/30 second.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom