1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

How to? (link to photograph inside)

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by menos, Jul 27, 2009.

1. menos

menos

Nov 11, 2008
    Shanghai
    I have found a photograph, which technique I try to learn.

http://www.sportsshooter.com/members.html?id=1446

I tried the whole evening with slow sync flash settings, to replicate this technique and couldn't manage it.

How do you do it? What is the key of getting the image this sharp? Is it front curtain sync with a very long exposure and camera movement only after the face has been frozen? I am stumped.

2. Looks like rear curtain sync with the camera moving from the start?

3. CoolStreams

CoolStreams

Jan 12, 2009
    Canada
    Assuming no photoshop was done, i.e. to add elements not found in initial capture, I believe this is how it was done.

- subject in near total darkness or at least 4 stops under the meter setting, sitting still
    - background lights visible to camera
    - have off-camera speedlight camera left on manual setting, with power pre-set
    - camera handheld, in Bulb mode or with a shutter speed long enough to accomodate the entire arcing/panning movement described below.

For actual exposure technique: Hold the camera about 45-deg with subject at the right edge of frame (or slight out of frame). Start the exposure. The camera is then panned across the subject moving in an arc. When the camera is about level and the subject is centred, the flash is manually popped (by an assistant or with a free hand). The camera is continued in the arcing movement past the subject. End the exposure.

4. darkside

darkside

Jan 2, 2009
    Orlando, Fl
    I believe this is explained in hot shoe diaries. I dont have my copy with my right now, but I think the chapter is "faces in the forest" but basically it would be either rear sync or as described above manually triggered, panning the camera, and the biggest thing is that the subject needs to be relatively isolated from the ambient light.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.