How to move focus square in D850

Every once in awhile, I accidentally move the focus selector lock without knowing it. Then when I can't move the focus selector, I turn the camera on and off. When that doesn't solve the problem, I take the battery out and return it. When that and a few other things don't help, I eventually get desperate enough to remember to look at the position of the lock.
That's the only time I touch it, too - accidentally. Fortunately I always remember that a non-moving focus point is not a camera problem.:)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I don't have a d850 but I do have the D500 and I Didnt get a paper manual with it? I emailed the camera shop and was told that nikon dont supply a paper backed manual with their new cameras. I also was told to download it from Nikons website. I don't know if things are different in the US. I would like to feel that if I had a problem finding some settings with my camera that I could ask for help here.
PS. Any time I did ask for guidance in regards to settings ETC I found good advice here on this site.
Mike
Interesting. Here in the USA - my D850 came with two large manuals....one in English and one in Spanish.

Real Name
(Mike) Michael Skerritt.
Hi again. The fact that I didn't get a paper backed manual does not affect me now reily, but if I go to sell on the camera I suppose that they will look for one! This is where I feel the problems will begin for me! unless it is a new Nikon policy not to supply the manuals in Europe. It did seem straining that I didn't get one in the box but as I said I just downloaded the manual form the Nikon site to my PC so I can refer to that.
Cheers.
Mike

Wow… I’m seriously disappointed in Nikon shooters…

someone who obviously wants to learn something that not the average Joe would know, came here in hopes of getting some guidance, perhaps he/she lost their manual, perhaps they didn’t even know the exact thing to search as there are all kinds of videos online that do not address this exact issue (they cover setting upAF as a whole, not changing the focal point in the viewfinder) when searching the proper terms (I checked just to see and verify it for myself)…

and so many absolutely negative, pedantic, a-hole-ish, holier than thou, inept responses?!?! Whats-a-matter fellas… mom doesn’t cut the crust off your PB&J sandwiches for you anymore!

Seriously, We’re supposed to be HELPING one-another, not berating and talking down to each other. True professionals always enthusiastically help, because they’re not intimidated by the fact that their work sucks, because it doesn’t.

It’s obvious that those who answered so negatively with “read the manual” are horrible at shooting so they take it out on others.

those who did give the OP a proper answer… thank you. It’s people like us who make photography as a whole, and the people who take up the craft, that much better.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Cafe and your first post on the day you joined.

A shame that you decided to pick on a post that is 3+ years old.

Perhaps it would be worthwhile reading the full thread first before commenting and checking the dates. The participants of this thread are all old hands on this forum and will in my experience be helpful to other members. If you do read through the thread again you will see that answers were made to help the OP, along with the suggestion of downloading the manual which is available as a pdf which again is a valid tool to help users, not all of which are aware that copy is available as a searchable pdf.

someone who obviously wants to learn something that not the average Joe would know, came here in hopes of getting some guidance, perhaps he/she lost their manual, perhaps they didn’t even know the exact thing to search as there are all kinds of videos online that do not address this exact issue (they cover setting upAF as a whole, not changing the focal point in the viewfinder) when searching the proper terms (I checked just to see and verify it for myself)…

and so many absolutely negative, pedantic, a-hole-ish, holier than thou, inept responses?!?! Whats-a-matter fellas… mom doesn’t cut the crust off your PB&J sandwiches for you anymore!

Seriously, We’re supposed to be HELPING one-another, not berating and talking down to each other. True professionals always enthusiastically help, because they’re not intimidated by the fact that their work sucks, because it doesn’t.

It’s obvious that those who answered so negatively with “read the manual” are horrible at shooting so they take it out on others.

those who did give the OP a proper answer… thank you. It’s people like us who make photography as a whole, and the people who take up the craft, that much better.
I think you'll find the Nikon Cafe to be a very supportive forum. I suppose on any forum you can find a thread from three years ago where the tone didn't meet expectation.

Glenn

When Nikon Cafe was first developed, its two cofounders especially wanted to ensure that this web-based photography forum would be somewhat different from other forums which were around at the time. All too often in other forums newcomers' questions were rudely responded to by a terse "RTFM" ("Read the [blankety-blank] Manual"), with no effort to actually help the person with whatever the problem or concern was.
Early-on the prevailing philosophy of the Cafe was that it was to be a forum in which members were thoughtful and caring, and the watchwords of the cafe were to be civility, respect and courtesy among and towards all members. When someone asked a question, regardless of what it was or how it was worded, the Cafe community was expected to respond with a proper, thoughtful answer, not simply a rude "RTFM". This was built into the Cafe's DNA and meant to be an inherent, steadfast guiding force in the overall Cafe functioning. It still remains so today.

You judged the behavior of an entire forum and users of Nikon equipment based on one thread that is not just one of thousands of threads but one that is also 3 1/2 years old.

You will likely think otherwise when you review the photos made by those people. Sadly, you didn't take the time to do that. Instead, you played the role of the high and mighty.

I promise that I won't judge all of your behavior and photographic skills based on this one, inappropriate post of yours. That's because you deserve better, as do those that you so quickly judged. Indeed, I even welcome you to the Cafe and encourage you to take a good long look around before deciding whether the forum is a good fit for you.

Last edited:
yes, and no!
A camera with as many settings (over 225) many of which interact needs a thorough understanding on the part of the user to get best or even reasonable or expected results from a D850, so the advice to 'read the friendly manual' seems fair and reasonable.

However, as you say, we've all had a moment of madness away from our trusty manual and asking does on occasion elicit details that you may have missed.*

Hence yes and no.

OP: make sure the lock is in the unlock position (the ring around the 4 selector pads) then try pressing the centre button, which by default should reset the AF to the center position (unless you changed that :) )
Alternatively move the AF box with the small joystick that too should work ;)
Finally send your D850 to me and I'll help you with all 225 settings :D deal?

* eta: online manual now re-worded compared to the pre-release copies so removed the example as it's no longer applicable.
THANK YOU. It’s 2021- D850’s are easily found second hand and I’ve just traded up from a D810, which until today, I’ve used exclusively with Zeiss manual focus lenses. My D850 didn’t include a manual. I Googled and Voila! A straight forward answer- The camera was, indeed, focus locked to the bottom, right corner.

THANK YOU. It’s 2021- D850’s are easily found second hand and I’ve just traded up from a D810, which until today, I’ve used exclusively with Zeiss manual focus lenses. My D850 didn’t include a manual. I Googled and Voila! A straight forward answer- The camera was, indeed, focus locked to the bottom, right corner.
Welcome to the Café. Had you read through the first responses thoroughly from more than 3.5 years ago, you'd have found the answer that you were searching for early on, and then would have realized that many of the latter replies were simply examples of the "joshing" that routinely goes on here. This is truly one of the most supportive camera forums / fora anywhere.

Welcome to the Café. Had you read through the first responses thoroughly from more than 3.5 years ago, you'd have found the answer that you were searching for early on, and then would have realized that many of the latter replies were simply examples of the "joshing" that routinely goes on here. This is truly one of the most supportive camera forums / fora anywhere.
Had Google found those first (it didn’t), I’d have done exactly that beforehand. Until directed to this exact thread, by an internet search engine, I didn’t even know this cafe existed, and had even less an idea to search it, because an answer had already been provided. My search led directly to this thread, so in gratitude to the person giving an answer, I thought I’d thank them.

Thanks Palouse. Once I rotated the focus selector lock from L to the dot, I could then move and select my focus point. It wasn’t until I referenced the manual that the solution sunk in EVEN though I had heard about this common mistake before AND it is plastered over forums, published in books and demonstrated in videos. Your advice is really key once the glut of information from other sources overwhelms and confuses. Your post exhibited wisdom.

The focus square in my D850 have moved to the left of center. Can't figure out how to move it back to the center? I know it is an easy fix but I'm confused. :(
I was having the same issue! :) Just in case you still need this, I found the answer here:

https://nps.nikonimaging.com/technical_solutions/d850_tips/d-movie/focus/#:~:text=Use touch controls or the,the center of the frame.

Screenshot 2023-02-21 at 5.37.36 PM.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I created an account just to reply to this haha! Happy shooting!

Latest threads

Top Bottom