How to obtain a press/media pass?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yahtzee, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Im trying to enhance my current portfolio (http://www.pbase.com/daryl)but am finding it difficult to get access thats worthy of shooting....i have been able to get into some local/regional events (East Coast Surfing Championship, etc.) but want to take it to another level...I have no issue paying for a ticket and am not looking for a free ride for anything (ok, well other than the access piece).

I have a call setup with the director of photography at the Virginian Pilot(local newspaper) on monday but he has already told me that i will need to be able to show him that i can capture news, sports, etc...duh..thats why i need access....what a viscious circle....on another note, has anyone ever heard or or used http://www.nationalpressassociation.org/? Looks a bit too good to be true....i was thinking about calling some larger venues and asking for media access using this as my membership and seeing what they say....

thanks.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Just read that. Sounds good. hummm Like you said sounds to good.

Let me know. :>))

3. The largest national orgainization is International Freelance Photographers Association (IFPO). They have some legitimacy in that they publish a magazine (however crummy it is) and use members work to populate it. They do have press credentials and I have gained access to sporting events and other venues as well. This will allow you to write to the venue ahead of time and get a letter of admission which always seems to work. Some of the pro teams might balk at it but I have had good luck with college teams. As you build a portfolio your access will become easier. I know a photographer in St. George where I live that photographs big time events in Las Vegas and other major cities and IFPO is all he ever uses.

4. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    A whois search of that website indicates that they are owned by USA Chemicals Inc. in Cordova Tn.

Further research of that company found this.

http://www.fda.gov/foi/warning_letters/g5239d.htm

Its a Scam! Plus if they offer a toll free 24/7 number why isn't it on their website. I would stay away from this one and go with IFPO.

Google is your friend, so is www.networksolutions.com

5. Thx Gordon....any chance you have a pic of the id badge used to gain access?

6. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    I'm having a hard time keeping up with all the threads.

When I first started out I went directly to the event and asked for a press pass. The main question that you will be asked is who do you shoot for. The answer is that you are a freelance photographer. Most helpful is having a business card in hand. I made my own. I started out as a freelancer to get shots for Internet contests and said so. I have never been turned down for a pass and never paid a dime to get in to an event. The more that you repeat an event the easier it becomes to get a pass (i.e. annual events).

Local events of course are easy. Big events attended by the major ( big boys and girls) media are more difficult but there is no gain if you don't try. If this is what you want to do and are serious about it, go for it on your own. Most events are friendly towards photographers for obvious reasons. Major league baseball, football, basketball, golf, etc. are probably out for starters but there is plenty of other opportunities to get started. That will also get you your shots to show the newspaper.

Much easier now that I have gallery and magazine business cards plus ID furnished by the respective agency. I still do my own business cards for freelancing so I carry three types of cards.