How to photograph active puppies. . .

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by MiriamJ, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Just stick in them in a brick so they have to stay still!:biggrin:

original.

Just kiddin'! Actually this is where she likes to sleep.

original.

Yesterday we visited my sister-in-law so I could get photos of her 10 puppies. It was so much fun! I would get down to puppy level to shoot one that was doing something interesting, and would get mobbed by a half-dozen enthusiastic puppies, so I was lucky to get what I got!

View attachment 101593

View attachment 101594

View attachment 101595

View attachment 101596

All shot with a manual focus lens. (Yeah, my keepers to number of photo taken ratio was *extremely* low).

2. Schnauzermom

Schnauzermom

Apr 13, 2007
    Michigan
    ROFL!!!!!! That's a solution.

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    These are wonderful Miriam, these should all be posters or on greeting cards. You did a fantastic job capturing the beauty of this pup.

4. joepilot

joepilot

Mar 21, 2007
    Richmond Va.
    I love the 3rd pic, that dog knows he cool . Great shots

5. LOVE it!! Having raised a few litters, I know exactly how that feels, being mobbed by needle-tooth monsters! :biggrin:

Very nice pictures, you got some great ones! :smile:

6. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    When I was MUCH younger we raise Samoyed, the largest litter was 12. I remember the feeling.

7. :biggrin:

8. That's very generous! Thank you, Frank!

9. He does, doesn't he? I think he's bored with the silly humans making funny noises to get him to look a certain way! Thanks!

10. Thanks, Gretchen!

Yes, my Nikon strap has a permanent record of puppy teeth. :eek: 

11. 12! That must have been fun!

12. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Wonderful shots. Those puppies are too cute.

13. Hi Miriam....

Love these shots... I know what your sister-in-law is going through, as our 2 Golden Retrievers had 13 puppies... Oh man, was that a hand full. Know what you mean about suddenly being attack by herds of little puppies, you have to be sooooo quick... But you have got some great captures there, and they do move so fast for little "fellas" that you will get a lot of missed shots...:smile:

Made me go back and look at all the photos of mine... Love the shots you got..great stuff and thank for sharing.....

14. what a magical set of images! I love pups and have raised a few litters over the years. There is no better photo subject matter in my opinion. These prove it.

15. Thank you, Torben!

16. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Miriam
    Wonderful images
    Beaitiful pups ( i want a few...lol

But they are so cute i have run out of words.

17. Hi Wally, Thank you very much! 13 Golden Retriever puppies! I'm sure they must have been a handful and a lot of fun, too! Yeah, you do have to be quick, lol. I would get a focus, and they always would be somewhere else!

18. Thank you, Dave! I agree, you just can't get a more photogenic subject than a Golden Retriever puppy.

19. Gale, Thank you very much, I always appreciate your comments. :) 

I wouldn't have minded taking a few home with me.

20. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Gosh Miriam, just love them all, but the one in the bowl is special to my eye, I love the light, and the image overall is my fav. (hard to pic a favorite though, the cinder block shot is priceless too!

Great job on the manual lens, I can't manual focus anymore, lost my touch with the skill from the days long gone...

Cheers,

Wade

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.