How to play MOV files?

I have some MOV files that were recorded from video tapes made in the 1950s or 1960s and am having trouble playing them. My OS is Windows 10. I've tried the default player (Movies & TV) and Windows Media Player but the following message is displayed when using them: "Can't Play. This item was encoded in a format that's not supported. 0xc00d5212"

What is the solution?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Perhaps the Drinking Support Team should spring into action. :ROFLMAO:

I converted the .mov files to .mp4 and to .ts file formats but none of those three formats are recognized by the television. The VLS software gave me the impression to use .ts for the MPEG-2 file format, which is what I was trying to create, but that may not be the correct extension.

The television's manual provides the following information about the movie formats it recognizes when reading SD cards and USB flash memory: "SD-Video Standard Ver. 1.2 [MPEG-2 (PS format)] and AVCHD Standard compatible files with an audio format that is either MPEG-1/Layer-2 format or Dolby Digital format (A modified data with a PC may not be displayed correctly.)"

What file format should I convert to so the television can play it?

Last edited:

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
You have an old TV that doesn't want to play your videos. It only wants to play videos you took with an old video camera, preferably made by the same company that made the TV. (What is the TV and how old?) And it even warns you against using a PC to edit them.

Apart from somehow figuring out how to make make an ancient file that will work, several easier options for you:
1. Buy a new TV.
2. Buy a long HDMI cable, plug one end into your laptop and the other into the TV. Play the file using VLC on the laptop. (I do this to show photos on the TV. One has complete control, can zoom in etc.)
3. Perhaps you have a Blu-ray player that has a USB socket, so you can play it from that device? (I do this a lot, very convenient.)

What is the TV and how old?

Panasonic TC-P50G25 purchased in 2010

1. Buy a new TV.
2. Buy a long HDMI cable, plug one end into your laptop and the other into the TV. Play the file using VLC on the laptop. (I do this to show photos on the TV. One has complete control, can zoom in etc.)
3. Perhaps you have a Blu-ray player that has a USB socket, so you can play it from that device? (I do this a lot, very convenient.)

Option 1 isn't gonna happen. :D Option 2 might happen. Our Blu-ray player has a USB socket, so I'll try Option 3. Which file format is most likely going to work on the Blu-ray player?

Our Blu-ray player has a USB socket, so I'll try Option 3.

Actually, the owner's manual says it has two memory card slots, not a USB socket. Even so, the device actually has no card slots or USB sockets. Very strange that the manual would be so very wrong about something so basic.

Our Digital Video Recorder has a USB socket, so maybe that will work. What is the most likely file format that will work?

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
First try your mp4 file. Again it will depend how ancient your DVR is.

Otherwise it may well support DIVX AVI files. You can make the most compatible version of these from your mp4 files using DIVX, which is free, and very simple: Play DivX files. Free Video Software to play, convert and cast video.

Tell us what your TV and DVR are, make model and approximate age.

I've got a last year $60 Sony DVD player which will play anything I throw at it.
MOV MP4 mkv on a dvd disk or usb stick
(it talks to my tv via an hdmi cable)
even if disc/usb's are 'data' format rather than re coded into dvd or bluray format

nice surprise

A few new developments now that my wife has come home...

I mentioned earlier in the thread the owner's manual of our Blu-ray player. My wife tactfully pointed out to me that it's not a Blu-ray player. I have no idea how I got the idea that it is.

I mentioned earlier in the thread that the owner's manual of said Blu-ray player that I now realize is not a Blu-ray player depicts two memory card slots that don't exist. My wife tactfully pointed out to me that pulling down a cover reveals those two slots.

Most important, getting back to Richard's Option 2 of using an HDMI cable to connect a laptop and our TV, my wife tactfully explained that she has done that before and would be happy to do it again. In other words, problem solved!

Latest threads

Top Bottom