How to prevent glare when shooting though glass

I plan to shot reptiles (Rattlesnakes and such) throught glass at a nature exhibit. Just looking for the best technique to get the cleanest shot as well as PS method for cleaning up. Will probably shoot with 105 2.8 vr
Thanks

Goes without saying try and make sure the glass is as clean as poss..I find shooting at an angle helps greatly with my lens as close to the glass as possible..I normally use manual focus as well..:wink:

use a rubber hood and seal it to the glass. also control the light so it isn't blasting your window into the thing.

Break glass. Wait, better not, with rattlers.

Iv seen photographers at hockey Ice level use what looks like a big black hood in front of there lens 1 foot by 1 foot. Not pretty but I guess it work's. They where using strobes on the ceiling and wireless units to trigger the flash.
Personally I think keeping the camera 90 degree's to the lens and getting it as close as possible that has already been mentioned is good advice. It seems sheilding the glass from direct light helps to keep down the gaze/haze.

Gregory

I am with pinhead. I use a rubber hood. Works great to seal out all reflections is handy to use as a regular hood too.
Pete

Black velvet material about 1.5 feet square with small suction cups on the corners and with the lens through a hole cut in the centre. If you're handy with a sewing machine or needle and thread, you can make the centre hole elasticised to fit tightly around the lens.

You can make this for maybe ten dollars all in, and it folds up pretty small. Quick to set up and remove...

Now I just have to make a new one, as I gave one to a teenage photographer I met some weeks back, and I don't have one of my own !!!

John P.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom