How to prevent Windows 10 from asking me to create a pin?

I think you're on the latest version of W10, Mike? I'm not.
I had this in the previous update but not anymore. I think it was a simple fix like "Cancel" or "Back". It never came back. Possibly I had to change something in the sign-in options in the system settings as well.
Our company doesn't allow a pin login anyway.
Now in the latest version, this does seem to be a bug. According to uncle Google that is.
I hope Richard @Growltiger knows more.

I think you're on the latest version of W10, Mike?

No, I'm on Build 1903 and waiting for Windows to automatically update to the next build. Apparently Windows updated overnight and it now asks me to create a pin, requiring that I go through about three screens until I can exit the process without creating the pin. This happens every time I "wake up" the computer.

You should be able to go to SETTINGS (the gear symbol), then to ACCOUNTS, then to SIGN-IN OPTIONS, and then REQUIRE SIGN-IN. There you have the option of NEVER or WAKEUP

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I never use Microsoft accounts for login security, I always use local accounts. This means that if the day comes when Microsoft gets hacked or has some huge disaster and loses everyone's account data, my computers will still work.
I know I never set a PIN up, it has never been a problem.
I never sign in, the machines just start up. They are in secure locations, and all data that I wouldn't want anyone to have access to is strongly encrypted.
As well as the option in Settings/Accounts/Sign-in options to not sign in, I also use the old way, which also specifies which account should be logged into, as follows:

Automatic login
- Run the command: control userpasswords2
- Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer: Untick
- Enter the account and password to login with

the option in Settings/Accounts/Sign-in options to not sign in

You should be able to go to SETTINGS (the gear symbol), then to ACCOUNTS, then to SIGN-IN OPTIONS, and then REQUIRE SIGN-IN. There you have the option of NEVER or WAKEUP

Apparently Microsoft doesn't understand the term, never. I chose that option and Windows is still asking me to create a PIN when I reboot. I reboot only once or twice a week, so I can live with going through their three screens and not creating the PIN. Prior to changing the setting, I was having to do it every time I woke up the computer, which is many times every day.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I was mistaken. I just checked my records and I did create a PIN for my Microsoft account. You should just go ahead and do it. I have never had to use it. Keep a record of what you have set it to.
If you do what I described you won't have to login or use the PIN.

Automatic login
- Run the command: control userpasswords2
- Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer: Untick
- Enter the account and password to login with

I've always used the command "netplwiz" to get to that dialog box, but I guess it's just a different road to the same destination... ?

Real Name
Don Roy
I was mistaken. I just checked my records and I did create a PIN for my Microsoft account. You should just go ahead and do it. I have never had to use it. Keep a record of what you have set it to.
If you do what I described you won't have to login or use the PIN.
Right, that's what meant above in my 'why not make one?' comment. My sys is like yours, I never have to log in.

Latest threads

Top Bottom