How to price images for "media outlets"

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by Retief, Mar 28, 2005.

1. I have started shooting for a brand new Pro Football team in the NIFL, one of several Indoor Leagues around the country, much like Arena. Same deal, post images for fans and players to purchase and hope I become rich and famous :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

But now I have been asked to send 4-5 images "full-sized" for distribution to media outlets. I'm not quite sure how best to approach this, so I figured that the collective wisdom of the "Pro Corner" at Nikon Cafe just has to be the best possible place for guidance.

These are not NFL teams with NFL budgets, obviously, and I want to get in very solid with them this season and the future, to basically do all of the photography they require. At the same time, this is work. I just spent about 27 hours on a bus to and from Billings, MT for the first game of the season :cry: . Theory is that the league will get the "Air Deal" done "real soon now"....

So, suggestions, advice, opinions, BS, Rants or Raves, all welcome. Here is a link to the "Web Proofs", http://everetthawks.mycapture.com/mycapture/folder.asp?event=30886 if you want a look. I'll post up a better set of images that have been corrected, sharpened, etc., in the next couple of days.

Thanks in advance for any and all response, much appreciated. You know, it becomes much more difficult when you really have to deal with the "business bits" doesn't it :?: :?: :?: :lol:

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Congrats Bill!

3. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    Bill, it is a business, and you need to treat it that way. All your costs of production should be passed on to the client, and you should expect fair compensation for your work as well. What is fair compensation? Well, that all depends on how much the client really needs your work, and how much you really want to do it. Are you able to keep images for yourself to sell as you wish, or does the client wish to keep all of the images? And what are the "media outlets"? If they are sending images to large newspapers and magazines, well, then those images are worth more than if they are going to small local newspapers. Will they be used to advertise the teams to increase team revenue (by increasing attendence), or are they shots used in articles about the team and the game played? All must be accounted for in the pricing of your work. As a natural history photographer (one of the lower paying fields), I will take assignments for $500/day +expenses for editorial magazines, and ALL photos taken belong to me, not the client. The client will have the right to select images for the intended publication, and have the first use rights to those images, but after publication, all will be returned to me, and I generally make more money than I made on the assignment selling them to other clients over a number of years.

4. Thanks Chris and Steve.

In this case I do have the rights to sell the images as often, and to whom, I would like. My guess is that these images will be used for media such as our local newspaper, and probably some web advertising. I am paid all expenses, including a per-diem, so I am not 'out-of-pocket" in that regard. My "costs" are now mainly my time at this point.

Does anyone know if there are any guidelines for image use to local papers and such? If they are looking for something more than "local" I'd probably have a heart attack :lol: :wink: .

Thanks,

5. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    Bill, there are a number of different pricing guides available. One I use is made by http://www.fotoquote.com/ I'd be happy to quote you prices from the program, but I am currently on the road (visiting my Dad in the DC area) and don't have the program on my laptop. Most small town papers are reluctant to pay much for images, but I still believe a minimum use fee of say $75 is in order. Yesterday the very small local paper (weekly) in my home town in Alaska called me to ask about one of my images they'd seen, and wanted to use the image in an article based on an interview of me. I told them I did not allow free use of images, but would be willing to work out a trade if they couldn't afford to pay my $100 minimum fee for any use. A year's subscription to the paper, a nice dinner on the town for me and my wife, or something similar.

6. Thanks, Steve, I will look into fotoquote. The $75 figure is one that I have heard tossed around a bit, and I also very much like your last sentence :lol: . I am planning to speak with the fellow who got me the contact to see what, if anything, had been previously discussed and then I will work from there using your comments as a guideline. If I can I'll get them to name a figure first, who knows, maybe it will be MUCH higer :wink: , but I won't hold my breath.

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Bill,

Wishing you all the success in this endeavor..

You are sure good enough.

Those owls should make you a fortune alone..