How to price lenses?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by cwilt, Dec 4, 2005.

1. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I have decided to sale a few of my lenses. Where does a person look to get accurate prices?

Looking for pricing on

My 3 piece zoom kit which includes....
    Nikon 12-24
    Nikon 28-70/2.8
    Nikon 70-200/2.8 VR

Might as well...
    Sigma 50-500
    Sigma 1.4 TC
    Sigma 2x TC

I hardly use these, and since I have much better primes that cover thier range its time for them to go.

2. I check ebay and click on the 'sold' box to see what things have sold for. There can be a bit of variation, but you can get a range of selling prices.

3. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    I look at Ebay to get an idea of what people are asking.

4. Seymore

Seymore Guest

I concur using Ebay is one sounding board. I also check KEH, Adorama and B&H for their used items. This should give you a good average. Please note that not all of these online stores have massive used quantity...

BTW, check your PM.

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Just wondering Charles, what prime do you have that covers the 12-24 range? I have mostly primes, but I actually consider the 12-24 a prime-by-default, since there aren't any rectilinear lenses that go that wide on DX body. Nikon's 14 might do, but I do notice quite a bit of width in those last two millimeters.

6. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Do a search of other forums, look for those that have sold recently, and compare the prices.

eBay is okay, but people tend to over-pay on eBay.

On-Line stores (as mentioned by others).

7. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I rarely shoot below 24mm. 24-120vr or 24/2.8 will do just fine for that. At this time I am still undecided about making room in my lens cabinet. The 28-70 and 70-200 can't compare to primes on the D2x. I have been doing tests with Imatest and thier weakness really shows wide open.

The boss says I should keep them on the shelf because someday I may want to use them.

still thinking.....

8. First of all, isn't it sacrilege and heresy to even THINK about selling the 70-200 f2.8 AFS VR?????? :wink: You are liable to be drummed out of the Nikon corp if you are not careful.....:biggrin:

All the suggestions for places to look are good. I'll just add a couple of points.

When looking at Completed Auctions on eBay be sure to compare items that sold with multiple bids. The exception to this, or course, is a Buy-It-Now. If you see large variations in price, do what you always do, look at the middle range. In general I find that if I am selling something relatively popular, such as a Nikon lens, I will expect to get at least 80% of what I paid in return. I sold a well-used 80-200 f2.8 AFS that I bought used from a pro Sports Shooter in Florida, after I used it for 2 more years. I got 90% of what I paid for that lens. I generally start at 80% expectation and then compare the prices from eBay and the other online spots. Also be aware that on eBay better ads that close at times when most folks are online get better prices. When I buy I purposely look for auctions that will end at 3:33AM on a Tuesday morning, amazing how much you can save. If you sell there, don't do that :biggrin: Also, better written ads sell better as well.

9. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I guess they will just have to make a zoom that can compete with good primes.:wink:

Thanks for the tips also.:smile:

10. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

11. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Paul,

I have no need to sale except to remove the less used glass. The "Boss" is always right.:wink:

While the 28-70/2.8 faired better than the 70-200vr in my tests, it is still no replacement for my 50/1.4.:smile:

I don't have any complaints about the 12-24, but I have taken less than a dozen images with it.

Knowing me, I will keep everything until it becomes an antique.:rolleyes: