How to repair WB error

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Aussie Greg, Sep 29, 2008.

1. I left my WB on flash, then took a series of shots outside without using or needing a flash. Result is very blue shots. Can anyone give me some hints on how to use NX or PS Elements to repair this. Shots are saved in jpeg
    Thanks
    Greg

2. Allan

Allan

Apr 21, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    Open the image - then do a color adjustment for warmth. Use the slider till you get a look you like. This won't be the same as adjusting to a particular color temperature, but as far as I know this is all you can do with a jpg.

(Reason to shoot raw - then it is easy.)

3. Lightroom has the ability to adjust WB on jpeg. Post a shot and I'll give it a try.

4. Thanks greg
    The link is to 4 shots I've uploaded to a webshots album. Two are original sizes, over 9Mb each and the resized ones are more like 600K each.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2131753460025904258QOZPzY]

I've done it this way as I'm new to the formum and need to read the rules again about shot posts in the forum.

I've only got 78 shots to fix so any help will be much appreciated.

Greg

5. Welcome to the Café Greg!

You may want to try a different hosting site. Ones like this are so frustrating. Besides all the ads it wants me to join
    before I can have access to your photo.

For a small fee (something like $20/year) you can have a site like this on Pbase
    No ads on every page.

Here's one image after opening it in PS, using Levels' Set Grey eyedropper on the man's pants. This involved one click... no other adjustments were made.

[​IMG]

Only way I could get your image from that site was a screen capture.

Don

6. Thanks Don, for the welcome and info. I'd didn't realize webshots was so restrictive to visitors. Seems I'm always logged on so can download the pics OK. Will certainly look for a more sharable service. And just post a shot or two in the cafe'
    Have tried your suggestion in PS Elements and it works well . Will continue accross the others.

Much appreciated
    Greg

7. One click in Lightroom on the white of his shirt and then some minor WB adjustments. Because the WB was off the photo looks slightly over exposed. NEF/RAW would have save the shot.

2899411784_6cb066fbdf_o.png

8. This brings up an interesting question... was the man's uniform navy or black?

Don

9. Thanks for both changed examples. I hadn't come accross Lightroom before, but the web is full of it once you start looking. Not sure if I need another package however, with NX, Element and ACDSee already loaded. Would be interested in any comments on similarities/differences between the different packages. I've used the Control points in NX and come up with the included. The long coat and both trousers were a very very dark navy from memory, not quite black. I think I just have to work out how to darken the overexposed face of the coated guide, and I'll be back to where I should have been if I had paid more attention to my setting when shooting.

[​IMG]
    duh... how do I add a pic to my post. FAQ indicates there would be a Manage Attachment button but it doesn't appear on my screens. Sorry to not understand the forum functionality either

Thanks
    Greg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2008
  10. Billy Ng

Billy Ng

Jan 22, 2007
    Hartsdale, NY
    Inside your image brackets, you're specifying an image on your Z:\ drive ... that's impossible for anyone on the web (all of us) to actually see. The link needs to be an http link to your image hosted on the web somewhere.

I use half-lime (http://www.half-lime.com) but there are hundreds of hosting sites available out there.

11. Thanks Billy,
    I've taken your advice and added the original and amended pics in half-lime so hope this works better. I was hoping that by adding my local reference to the pic, that it would be uploaded as the forum entry was sent, but that was a vain hope, hence my request for assistance.

[​IMG]

greg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2008
  12. White Balance Error

Greg - This is one of the reasons I started shooting in RAW. NX1 or 2 let you adjust white balance after the fact. This really works great for someone who forgets to check all of his settings on occasion.

13. Thanks John,
    This will probably be the reason to change over to RAW. I started out using the best jpeg as we went on a 9 week holiday just after buying the camera. Over 4000 pics later, the hard drive on our laptop was almost full. That limitation has been solved with a bigger HD, so now I dont have an excuse not to shoot RAW. Thanks to all for the suggestions and recommendations

greg

14. Raymond Lowe

Raymond Lowe Guest

I took a WB off of the shirt collar of the man facing the camera and that gave a nice color overall.. I'd rather trust a shirt is white than trousers are gray. :) At first I thought the stones would be gray but apparently not -- I guess this is early in the day and the sunlight is warm.