How to rid the cigarette's smell?

Hi guys,

First, to be clear, I do not smoke.

I just bought a used lens, and the previous owner was a smoker, and his/her lens smelled heavily. So, I want to get rid of the smell, but I do not know how. Can you please give me some ideas?

Not sure you can with a lens... that is one potent and long lasting smell. When my wife and I moved into our first apartment many years ago, the cabinets reeked of smoke. We set open bowls of bleach in them for about a week. Maybe you can put the lens in a cabinet with a bowl of bleach, or maybe baking soda with the peel away side would be safer...

Spray it with cologne. Smoke a bit, then stop - the smell will stop bothering you.

To get the new smell on mouse back in the day, cleaning it with toothpaste and then putting it in a sealed bag gave it that new smell. You could possibly try the same thing with the lens in an open box and scrub the insides of the box with toothpaste...

Baking soda has been known to absorb odours. They recommend putting a pack in your fridge.

You could try to put the lens in a box or bag, and have some baking soda in a dish or something along with the lens. Charcoal is also good at absorbing smells.

Smoke smell...been there. Bought a used body and 3 lenses years ago that were all used by a smoker (unknown to me before purchase). Funny because I remember opening the box and being overwhelmed by the smell. The manuals and strap along with the body were just horrible. At any rate I tried a few different things, but ultimately it was time that worked best. I tried rubbing down the surfaces with Frebreeze and Lysol (both sprayed on a clean cloth, not directly on the body or lens). I also put the items in large ziplock bags with fabric softener sheets (fresh smelling ones) for days. I'm not sure how well these things did, but with time the smell diminished. I now ask up front when buying anything used if the items were used in a smoking environment.

I can see it now, a new section in KEH ( EX -smoke )
70-200vr2 mint condition but used by a smoker. 20% discount.

Water - vinegar - baking soda. Dip the cloth in the mixture and clean the lens body, and hood. Re-clean when it dries with lens cleaner and cloth. Lens cleaner for the glass. The tar and the oil on the gear is what smells. Remove that, it will be better.

I had one like that as well.. I store my gear in a wooden chest with those dehumidifying granuals that you can buy in any store.. plastic container with the powder.. it seems to absorb it away.. with time.

......Maybe you can put the lens in a cabinet with a bowl of bleach, or maybe baking soda with the peel away side would be safer...

Do NOT use chlorine bleach! The chlorine in the air will react with the metal and quickly corrode it.

Thanks guy. Will try some of your advices. I hope that I can get rid of the smell, because I cannot stand smoking and its smell.

I bought a used lens on eBay once and it absolutely reeked. Stuck it in a ZipLoc with fabric softener sheets (not in direct contact) and that seemed to work. But the lens had focusing issues anyway and returned it.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom