How to set up 51-pt. 3D?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by jStat, Jul 4, 2008.

1. jStat

jStat

Dec 11, 2007
    Janesville, WI
    Sorry to all if this has been posted earlier, but how do I set my camera up for this? I know about the option within the camera's menus where it allows you to say you want "51-pt 3D", but I have never seen this phenomena where the viewfinder lights up with all the relevant focusing areas.
    Am I on the right track, but need to set the camera to AF-A? I'm confused.

Sorry again for sounding like an idiot.

2. John,

I may be wrong, but I don't think the focus-points light up in 3D. Only in singe point and dynamic AF, whether in 9, 21, or 51 point. If you set the focus selector on the back (the little 3-way switch just below the multi-selector) to the lower or middle position, the reticles should appear when you press the shutter release half-way. They can be moved around with the thumb multi-selector.

3. jStat

jStat

Dec 11, 2007
    Janesville, WI
    But since I use AF-ON, will it do it as well?

4. I use AF-On as well, and I think you need to use the shutter release to activate them. Kind of both. AF-On operates the AF and may light the reticles up, but the shutter release still powers VR, viewfinder, allows changing the control dials, and allows the selector knob to be active so you can move the reticles around to different points, etc.

5. jStat

jStat

Dec 11, 2007
    Janesville, WI
    So I have to hold them both(albeit softly with the shutter button)?

6. On my D3 they light up red and I just touch the shutter release to activate them and then can focus with AF-On and move them as needed. Then halfway depress the shutter release when I'm ready to meter and activate VR. I've only used the D300 for a week, but I notice the black square doesn't light up, but seems to operate the same way when AF-On is selected in the menu as the only AF activation.

7. Not sure I understand the thread so far. If you set the D3 for 51pt 3D, then the red focus boxes light up exactly like it does in the other AF modes EXCEPT that they dance around all over the grid.

The theory is that you can place the intial focus point on the eyes of the athlete for example and then the camera takes over and the spots dance while trying to analyze what it thinks you are following. Makes no difference if you use the 1/2 shutter press or the AF button.

I found the dancing spots to be very distracting, but have to admit that the camera did a pretty neat job of predicting what I wanted in focus. I actually used that mode for a few months, but just never got used to it.

I find that when I shoot now, I set the AF to 21 spot and shoot as I did with the D2's. Just seems to work for me and I don't get dizzy following the bouncing box.

Is the bouncing red spot not what you are seeing in 51pt 3D tracking?

8. TonyBeach

TonyBeach Guest

51 pt. 3D Dynamic-area tracking is an AF-C feature; it is disabled in AF-S and reverts to plain 51 pt. Dynamic-area tracking.

Only one AF sensor at a time lights up. As it tracks you can see that in the viewfinder. The only time you see more than one AF sensor light up is when you use Auto and AF-S.

AF-A is a D80 focusing mode; not a D300 one.