How to set up a second monitor....???

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
OK - I have a spanking new PC running Windows 10 - so hopefully this will be easy! 🤞 Hubby no longer needs his older 27" Dell U2711b.

Goal is to use the second monitor for software panels when running PS CC - and maybe DxO, leaving the image on my 30" NEC monitor.

Current PC configuration: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, 3.8 GHz, 12 core 105W CPU, Gigabyte X570 AORUS Ultra motherboard, 32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Super XC 8 GB Open Air video card, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G+ Pwr Supply, CPU cooling=Noctura NH-U12S, Fractal Design R6 USB-C black case

Last edited:
You need to check what ports you have available on your PC.
HDMI? DVI? USB?
If you take a picture of the front and back of your PC as well as the cables from your monitor that would help.

Your 30" NEC monitor should be plugged into one of the ports on the video card.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

What I don't know is if that card will support multiple monitors. Have to read the manual.

On the computer you have a HDMI connector (outlined in red below). This is where you would normally plug the 2nd monitor into.
As long as the monitor has an HDMI interface.
1593456304691.png

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You need to check what ports you have available on your PC.
HDMI? DVI? USB?
If you take a picture of the front and back of your PC as well as the cables from your monitor that would help.
OK - here are some photos.

20200629_145248[1].jpg

20200629_144826[1].jpg

20200629_144949[1].jpg

This last image is upside down. .....the last connector is the only one being used. It is connected to my NEC monitor.
20200629_145113[1].jpg

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
The connector on the Dell has both top corners "angled". I have a corresponding port available as seen in the last photo in Post #4.

You have plenty of ports !
In the last picture all the angled ports, single side angle or both sides are monitor port.
You simply need to plug a similar cable from your monitor.
Then windows will have options to set these as you wish. In the display settings section.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I suspect that if you plug it into the port that is NOT on the video card, i.e. the one mixed in with all the other ports, that will be the only one that won't work. That is because it will connect to the low speed integrated graphics chip on the motherboard. The BIOS will be used to select whether to use those integrated graphics or the graphics card, not both. I may be wrong. Even if you do make it work it will be very low performance (fine for business use only).

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I suspect that if you plug it into the port that is NOT on the video card, i.e. the one mixed in with all the other ports, that will be the only one that won't work. That is because it will connect to the low speed integrated graphics chip on the motherboard. The BIOS will be used to select whether to use those integrated graphics or the graphics card, not both. I may be wrong. Even if you do make it work it will be very low performance (fine for business use only).
DRATS! Guess a call to Puget Computer Systems (the PC builder) is needed. Thanks, Richard!

Reason I am so positive is I have a mini PC desktop, HP elitedesk 800 g2.
A no thrills business desktop with integrated graphics.
I use it with two monitors without any difficulties.

If the video card has multiple ports for the same plug, it would make sense to think it could handle multiple outputs. As opposed to just giving you options for connecting a single output device. But what does sense have to do with computers?

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Are you sure the graphics card doesn't support two monitors? Can't you plug both into it?
OK - dumb question? If one of my empty, external ports doesn't connect to the graphic card, how do I plug the second Dell monitor into the graphics card? I assume my graphics card supports 2 monitors......so shouldn't I have a port to plug the 2nd monito in to?

OK - dumb question? If one of my empty, external ports doesn't connect to the graphic card, how do I plug the second Dell monitor into the graphics card? I assume my graphics card supports 2 monitors......so shouldn't I have a port to plug the 2nd monito in to?
The card has several different ports.
You are using one of the three "display port" connectors, so you have HDMI and "display port" jacks available.
You have to check to see if the monitor has a connector that matches one of the open ports.
BUT if your monitor has a VGA or other connector, that will not work. You have to check the monitor. Maybe there is a HDMI or "display port" jack on the monitor, then you just need to get a new cable.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom