How to set up a second monitor....???

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You last photo shows multiple ports from the graphics card.
Ah......those slots are under a title of "Video". Guess that means they go to the graphics card, correct? Sorry I'm such a dunce! LOL! The port next to the one being used is the correct "shape" for the Dell monitor.....

Ah......those slots are under a title of "Video". Guess that means they go to the graphics card, correct? Sorry I'm such a dunce! LOL! The port next to the one being used is the correct "shape" for the Dell monitor.....
Video = graphics you are right.

just give it a try.
The worse that can happen is absolutely nothing.
Literally.

Have to read the manual for the card.
I downloaded the manual, and could find nothing about how many monitors it could drive at the same time.
Running the configuration software may tell you.
BUT the fact that there are THREE "display port" jacks, hints to me that it can drive multiple monitors.

Only thing I can say it, call the seller, and ask him.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
OK....this is great news. I have obligations tomorrow, but hopefully I can plug in the Dell sometime tomorrow and see what happens! LOL! I assume Windows will let me designate a monitor as "first choice". Realistically that would be the Dell, since I photograph and process images fairly rarely and spend a LOT of time with emails, NikonCafe, and Solitaire! :(

Also, I use the NEC Spectravision s/w and h/w to calibrate my NEC monitor. Hopefully I can also use it to calibrate the Dell..............

OK....this is great news. I have obligations tomorrow, but hopefully I can plug in the Dell sometime tomorrow and see what happens! LOL! I assume Windows will let me designate a monitor as "first choice". Realistically that would be the Dell, since I photograph and process images fairly rarely and spend a LOT of time with emails, NikonCafe, and Solitaire! :(

Also, I use the NEC Spectravision s/w and h/w to calibrate my NEC monitor. Hopefully I can also use it to calibrate the Dell..............
Yes you can do all of this.
Some apps even let you chose where you want them to start and remain.
It is super easy.

Sometimes the bios of the motherboard wants to know if you want to use the graphics card for boot up messages (or the cpu chip's graphics connector).

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Well, my desk looks really nice with 2 large monitors on it - UNTIL I turn on the Dell monitor. I get a message that no DVI-D1 cable is detected.

The cable hubby gave me doesn't seem to be one that came with the Dell. He is looking for the correct cable........
The card has several different ports.
You are using one of the three "display port" connectors, so you have HDMI and "display port" jacks available.
You have to check to see if the monitor has a connector that matches one of the open ports.
BUT if your monitor has a VGA or other connector, that will not work. You have to check the monitor. Maybe there is a HDMI or "display port" jack on the monitor, then you just need to get a new cable.
I found online the Start Up Guide for the Dell monitor. I need to use a DVI cable. See above.....LOL!

Well, my desk looks really nice with 2 large monitors on it - UNTIL I turn on the Dell monitor. I get a message that no DVI-D1 cable is detected.

The cable hubby gave me doesn't seem to be one that came with the Dell. He is looking for the correct cable........

I found online the Start Up Guide for the Dell monitor. I need to use a DVI cable. See above.....LOL!
You do not have a DVI connector on your computer.
I do not know if they make a HDMI to DVI coverter, but they might.

But if you have the monitor connected to the computer, it should be simply a matter of, turning on the monitor and going into the monitor set up, to tell the monitor to use the other input, rather than the DVI.

update:
I just checked the setup guide.
It looks like the monitor only has DVI and VGA inputs.
So you need to look for an adapter that will take HDMI or "display port" input, and output to DVI or VGA.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I am at this moment connected to my computer using an HDMI-HDMI cable, connecting to a little adapter plugged into the monitor which converts HDMI to DVI-D. Got it from Amazon, cost is very little. So you can use a standard HDMI cable and buy the adapter.
I just searched amazon.com for it and the first one listed is $8.99:
Amazon search for adapter - click here

OK this is confusing.
I just looked at the user's guide and it shows both a "display port" and HDMI connectors on the monitor.
The setup guide and users guide are out of sync with each other.​
or there may be two different models one with only VGA and DVI and another with all of them.​
And you would select the input port from the monitor control panel.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I'm guessing this is quite an old monitor, before they started putting HDMI ports on them.

Instead of more and more different cables, I have standardised on using ordinary HDMI-HDMI cables on all my monitors, and I simply add a little adapter as needed at the back of old monitors.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
OK this is confusing.
I just looked at the user's guide and it shows both a "display port" and HDMI connectors on the monitor.
The setup guide and users guide are out of sync with each other.​
or there may be two different models one with only VGA and DVI and another with all of them.​
And you would select the input port from the monitor control panel.

View attachment 1664863
OH! This is VERY helpful!!!!! I saw the little blue lights flicker on start up, but they disappeared immediately. I didn't realize they were touch sensitive!!!!!

So - I've now used a Display Port cable from the Dell to the PC.

Now when the monitor is turned on, it says "entering Power Save mode"....and now the start indicated blinks red instead of green.

One BIG step forward!

Thank YOU!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Now when I go into Windows/Settings and try to detect a second display, it says nothing found.

Sure glad this is going so "easy"! :eek:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom