How to set up a second monitor....???

I did find this Q&A.....

And this one....

When I press the Power button on the Dell, I get a message saying there is no signal coming from the computer.....Windows Settings/Second display/detect still doesn't find a second monitor.
Well that's a let down.

Have you got other connections you could try, such as the old but reliable VGA?
This could help with a diagnostic.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My computer builder had sent me a display port to display port cable. I remembered I had it and used that. The physical connection now seems to be working. However, when I turn on the Dell monitor, I immediately get a message saying the Dell is entering Power Save mode. Then a blank screen.

So far, I have found no way to stop this or solve it. See Post #41 above for links to posts on the internet about a similar problem.

If I summarize the first thread on post #41, it is do not use DVI, it works with VGA (old tech nowadays).
try the HDMI adaptor to the DVI cable as suggested above?
try the VGA cable? (there are limites to the resolution though).

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
If you stop using DisplayPort, you will have no DisplayPort problems. Use HDMI.
Thanks, Richard. The first cable I tried was HDMI at both ends. Upon start up, the Dell then told me "No DVI-D " connection. My computer did not recognize the Dell at all. So then I tried the Display port to display port cable I already had.

Guess now I will try buying the adapter you reference in Post #34 to use with the HDMI cable I started with!

Going to the Dell site

https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_display_projector/esuprt_display/dell-u2711_user's guide_en-us.pdf

Try the VGA, blue cable page 2

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
CONNECTIVITY
High Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI)
2 Digital Visual Interface connectors (DVI-D) with HDCP
DisplayPort (DP)
Video Graphics Array (VGA)
Component Video
Composite Video
1 USB 2.0 upstream port
4 USB 2.0 downstream ports
8 in 1 Media reader
DC power connector for Dell Soundbar

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
So you seem to be saying that the monitor has an HDMI socket on it? As you say you tried a cable with HDMI at both ends. So don't buy an adapter, you don't need one.
Plug that HDMI-HDMI cable back in. Press the button on the monitor again and again until it selects the HDMI input socket. So what then happens when you select the HDMI input socket?

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
So you seem to be saying that the monitor has an HDMI socket on it? As you say you tried a cable with HDMI at both ends. So don't buy an adapter, you don't need one.
Plug that HDMI-HDMI cable back in. Press the button on the monitor again and again until it selects the HDMI input socket. So what then happens when you select the HDMI input socket?
Good idea. When I first tried the HDMI cable, I didn't know the little blue lights on the side were touch sensitive.....

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I plugged in the HDMI cable. Then used the little blue lights to change the setting to "HDMI".................and the monitor now "works"!

The Windows task bar even shows up on the Dell computer.

Just one problem...... My cursor is now "stuck" within the confines of the Dell monitor! I cannot get the cursor onto my NEC monitor.

So, I clicked the Windows setting (on the Dell monitor) intending to check the monitor settings and hopefully set up the two monitors in Windows. The Settings window opened (drum roll) on the NEC monitor. But I cannot get my cursor onto the Settings screen on the NEC monitor.

I'm sending this via my laptop! o_O

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
There are lots of guides on YouTube - look for setting up multiple displays with Windows 10.
I don't have two displays, but if I remember correctly, here are two things to do.

1. Hold down the Windows key and type the letter P. You want the Extend option.

2. Go to All Settings/Home/Display and scroll down the Multiple Displays section.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
There are lots of guides on YouTube - look for setting up multiple displays with Windows 10.
I don't have two displays, but if I remember correctly, here are two things to do.

1. Hold down the Windows key and type the letter P. You want the Extend option.

2. Go to All Settings/Home/Display and scroll down the Multiple Displays section.
1. The Extend option is already selected.

2. Since right now the cursor is "trapped" within the Dell, I''m going to try turning off the Dell, then access the Settings/Display within Windows and perhaps reverse the order of the monitors. Right now the Dell is on the left and the NEC is on the right. Maybe if I change the order of the Windows monitors setting to 2 then 1 that will help?

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Well, I turned off the Dell and my cursor showed up on the NEC. That's good!

Then I turned on the Dell. Cursor stayed on the NEC....but won't move to the Dell. Using Windows I selected "detect" for the 2nd monitor. It says no 2nd monitor detected.

Also: Under Device Manager/Monitors, there are two lines - both saying "Generic PnP Monitor". Properties for both say the Device is working properly.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I then went to the NVIDIA Control Panel and set up the positions for the monitors, Dell on left and NEC on right. NEC is primary.

After saying Apply - the screens reset and my cursor now moves across both Windows! wooooHOOOO!

Interesting, the NVIDIA Control Panel correctly identified the monitors, whereas Windows Device Manager simply said "generic" monitors.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom