How to set up a second monitor....???

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Joined
Apr 26, 2008
Messages
12,732
Location
Up in the hills, Gloucestershire, UK
I have an idea. Perhaps the monitors are configured the wrong way around.
You need to move the cursor in the wrong direction. So for example if the cursor is on the left screen and you want it to move to the right screen, you are currently moving it to the right and it gets stuck at the edge of the left screen.
Instead move it off the left side of the left screen, in the wrong direction. It will appear on the right screen.
Or do the opposite of all the above if it is stuck on the right screen - i.e. move it off the right edge of the right screen and it will appear on the left screen.
Do you see what I mean?
If this works you just need to tell Windows they are the other way around and it will work as you want.
 

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Moderator
Joined
Apr 8, 2008
Messages
21,747
Location
Rutledge, Tennessee
Real Name
Karen
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #64
We overlapped our messages. Does this mean it is now all working??
I'm not sure! LOL! I think so!

I have a blank Dell monitor and the cursor moves across both screens.

I'm going to try downloading this software to control dual monitors AND Google how to set up Photoshop to use 2 monitors.
 
Joined
Jul 8, 2019
Messages
577
Location
SF Bay Area, California, USA
If I can figure out how to put a 2nd monitor on my CROWDED desk I would.
There are so many times that I have a window/app open and I want to do something else in another window/app at the same time.
Classic example is working on two different documents at the same time. Hard to do it on one monitor.
 

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Moderator
Joined
Apr 8, 2008
Messages
21,747
Location
Rutledge, Tennessee
Real Name
Karen
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #70
I dragged a tab in Firefox across to the Dell! I'm loving the dual monitors already!

Realistically, now I should be able to use the Dell to do email, browse the internet, Solitaire etc. and significantly reduce the usage of my expensive NEC monitor. Even though the monitor is 8 years old, it is still really nice!

I will also try using my NEC s/w and h/w to color calibrate the Dell. THAT should be interesting.....! LOL!
 
Joined
Jul 8, 2019
Messages
577
Location
SF Bay Area, California, USA
One thing that I discovered.
When I color calibrate my monitor, it is TOO BRIGHT for standard stuff, like Word, Excel, and may web pages. The WHITE window is like looking at a light bulb. So I have to turn down the brightness of the monitor, to a level that I can deal with.
With two monitors, you could calibrate one for photos, and the other dimmer, for standard applications.
 

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Moderator
Joined
Apr 8, 2008
Messages
21,747
Location
Rutledge, Tennessee
Real Name
Karen
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #72
One thing that I discovered.
When I color calibrate my monitor, it is TOO BRIGHT for standard stuff, like Word, Excel, and may web pages. The WHITE window is like looking at a light bulb. So I have to turn down the brightness of the monitor, to a level that I can deal with.
With two monitors, you could calibrate one for photos, and the other dimmer, for standard applications.
Good info! I calibrate my NEC to 120. I will probably use a lower setting for the Dell.
 

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Joined
Apr 26, 2008
Messages
12,732
Location
Up in the hills, Gloucestershire, UK
One thing that I discovered.
When I color calibrate my monitor, it is TOO BRIGHT for standard stuff, like Word, Excel, and may web pages. The WHITE window is like looking at a light bulb. So I have to turn down the brightness of the monitor, to a level that I can deal with.
With two monitors, you could calibrate one for photos, and the other dimmer, for standard applications.
That doesn't sound right. Calibrate them both to - say 120 - and they will both look identical.
Perhaps your card doesn't allow for two lookup tables.
 

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Moderator
Joined
Apr 8, 2008
Messages
21,747
Location
Rutledge, Tennessee
Real Name
Karen
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #74
FWIW.....here is my dual monitor set up....

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
 
Joined
Jul 8, 2019
Messages
577
Location
SF Bay Area, California, USA
That doesn't sound right. Calibrate them both to - say 120 - and they will both look identical.
Perhaps your card doesn't allow for two lookup tables.
In MY case, I only have ONE monitor.

But what I am saying is when I calibrate the monitor for photos.
Maybe 10% of the image is white, the other 90% is colors and black. So the overall brightness of the monitor is decreased by colored screen, and is acceptable on the eyes.
But a Word or Excel window is 99% white. So the overall brightness is brighter than looking at a photo. To deal with that I have to dial down the brightness level, to something that my eyes can handle.
By lowering the white level, this is essentially reducing the dynamic range of the monitor.

Ideally, monitors would have a toggle switch, bright/normal, so we can go between a bright photo screen, and a dimmer normal other app screen.
The only monitor that I ran into with that feature was a Sony CRT.

But yes, some cards back when I built the computer only have ONE table. So you could not adjust individual monitors.
 

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Joined
Apr 26, 2008
Messages
12,732
Location
Up in the hills, Gloucestershire, UK
In MY case, I only have ONE monitor.

But what I am saying is when I calibrate the monitor for photos.
Maybe 10% of the image is white, the other 90% is colors and black. So the overall brightness of the monitor is decreased by colored screen, and is acceptable on the eyes.
But a Word or Excel window is 99% white. So the overall brightness is brighter than looking at a photo. To deal with that I have to dial down the brightness level, to something that my eyes can handle.
By lowering the white level, this is essentially reducing the dynamic range of the monitor.

Ideally, monitors would have a toggle switch, bright/normal, so we can go between a bright photo screen, and a dimmer normal other app screen.
The only monitor that I ran into with that feature was a Sony CRT.

But yes, some cards back when I built the computer only have ONE table. So you could not adjust individual monitors.
I understand.
What brightness are you calibrating to? I use 120 and it works fine for photos and everything else. After all some photos can be very bright too - lots of white sky.
If you go to Options/General in Office you can choose the dark grey theme, so only the paper is white, that would help.
 

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Moderator
Joined
Apr 8, 2008
Messages
21,747
Location
Rutledge, Tennessee
Real Name
Karen
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #80
For the record, I am continuing to fulfill my duties as a member of the Cafe Drinking Support Team until Karen lets us know that everything about the two monitors is working as she expects.
I sure appreciate the support! I drank wine last night too! LOL!

Everything does seem to be working fine now. After the weekend festivities, I will download the utility software and also attempt to set up new workspaces in Bridge and PS and LR Classic for the dual monitor configuration. I'll let everyone know how that effort goes in the next few days. It will be a timely effort as I hope to capture many images of fireworks tonight and will have a reason to open Bridge, PS and LR! :D
 
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom