How to shoot a hummingbird

A number of folks have asked me how to get hummingbird pictures. The secret it, it's more about learning
their behaviors than the gear. Before you start hunting hummers, I'd recommend you read this site
thoroughly.

http://hummingbirds.net

Once you understand hummingbird psychology, you'll need to set up a "studio"... a space where you'll
have frequent opportunities to enjoy these flying bullets and experiment in photographing them. My own
outdoor studio is the space adjacent to the feeder. They come to it dozens of times a day.

medium.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

As far as gear is concerned, I've been able to get satisfying captures with everything from a Coolpix 5700
to a d70/70-300ED to my current rig - the d70 with the 80-200 f/2.8 and Kenko Pro 1.4x tc. Once you have a
reasonably long lens, it's more about light and technique than the particular lens. Here's a shot taken
with the 5700 that's still one of my favorites.

View attachment 5676

I'll be happy to answer any questions you have about hummingbird photography. It's brought me great
pleasure, and I only have to step out of my back door to find wonderful photographic opportunities, like this
one I saw today. I call it "In the Pink" because I used a blossoming tree as the background.

View attachment 5677

Excellent article UF. If I could just get a picture of a hummer I'd be happy. I can't even imagine getting shots like yours.... :p

Frank

Nice article Frank and excellent shots. I'm looking forward to the return of the Hummers here. Only one stayed around this winter and he doesn't visit the feeder much.

Oh and thanks for the link!

Neil

Latest threads

Top Bottom