How to shoot lightning in the daytime?

How does one shoot lightning during the daytime? Short of buying the lightning trigger...

I mean how do you time the shutter to capture it. At night i rely on bulb mode and hold the shutter open and that works but in the daytime it wouldnt.

you cant time the shutter, it has to be open when the lighting hits, meaning you basically need to hold down the shutter until the card is full

humans usually react to the sound (thunder ) your to late already.

even if you can do it form the light your reaction = ~30ms plus camera lag = you get the very end or miss

I got this with my D40 jsut holding the shutter down

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

than this a few frames later, after this i went inside as the storm was to close for my linking lol

A six stop ND (B&W makes one) should give you 15 seconds+ exposure in daytime storm conditions @ ISO 100, f22. It is possible to time your shots, but most will be misses.

I have been wanting to shoot lightning in storms for quite some time now but never really knew how to approach this. Thanks to you all for the tips and ideas.

Here is a thought though to contribute, if one could afford it, those lightning triggers might be another option. They are rather pricey but could be worth the investment. Also, there are others who have tried a DIY lightning trigger with decent results.

As for me, I do not have the $$$ to buy the unit or the time to build my own. I think stacking ND filters is my best option.

God Bless,
David

I have been wanting to shoot lightning in storms for quite some time now but never really knew how to approach this. Thanks to you all for the tips and ideas.

Here is a thought though to contribute, if one could afford it, those lightning triggers might be another option. They are rather pricey but could be worth the investment. Also, there are others who have tried a DIY lightning trigger with decent results.

As for me, I do not have the $$$ to buy the unit or the time to build my own. I think stacking ND filters is my best option.

God Bless,
David
Glad this thread has helped you out David. See my other thread for an image from last night.

Last edited by a moderator:
Daytime lightning will never be as dramactic as night shots.

1/200th. Luck plays a big role at this shutter speed.

2 seconds

5 seconds

10 seconds

30 seconds

I've debated purchasing the lightning triggers for a while. Now that I'm satisfied (more or less) with my kit, I might take a closer look at them. I'll just have to be sure to buy them before my contract ends with the Corps of Engineers - as the job is my main source of $$$ for photo gear.

Like I said earlier...sometimes 'Spray and Pray' is successful...
Racetrack, Death Valley, ISO100, 1/2 second @ f11

I was standing in that spot on the south end of the Racetrack about 20 minutes before this capture:eek:!

Where can you buy a lightning trigger and what do they cost?

Beautiful captures. I spent an hour in some great lightning and all of mine came out blurry. I set to infinity and the show was amazing. Rain held off an hour. I think the blur is holding the shutter down manually. I have a remote but its wireless and not too reliable, the ML-2 something or other! LOL

Beautiful captures. I spent an hour in some great lightning and all of mine came out blurry. I set to infinity and the show was amazing. Rain held off an hour. I think the blur is holding the shutter down manually. I have a remote but its wireless and not too reliable, the ML-2 something or other! LOL
http://www.lightningtrigger.com/

I really have no advice. The only good shot I was able to get, I took at 3 seconds, at f/4.5. pure luck. And like it has been noted before, Just hold the button down and pray. lol

Charles,

Those are awesome captures of lightning. I'm in awe with the 10 sec and 30 sec shots.
Thanks. I have not seen a storm like the one in the 30 second exposure since. That storm had violent lightning.

Tripod is a must. Manual focus, and manual exposure. Aperture is usually f/8 to f/16. Shutter speed is typically 2 seconds to 60 seconds depending on the storm and the camera. I use wireless remote on some cameras but the internal delay works fine too.

Hi.

Before I got my ND, I ran into a huge thunderstorm (the city 20 miles north was flooded) and had my D300, a 17-55 and my tripod with me.

I set the ISO to 100 (low -1), set the aperture to 22, dialed in a +1 overexposure (buys me another stop and is easily correctable in PP on a cloudy day). Then I got the cam on the triped, selected Ch and locked the cable release.

From 400 or so images I took I got about a dozen which contained lightnings. I got 1/3 of a second as exposure time.

This evening, I ordered a ND filter ...

Some of the results:

View attachment 388410

View attachment 388411

View attachment 388412

View attachment 388413

I totally agree that nighttime shots are more dramatic, but I also like to see the landscape around me ...

Regards

Mattes

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom