How To: shoot long noses at f1.4

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Randy, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    Nute made me do it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2008
  2. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Nute made a good choice! I really like no2.

3. gfx1

gfx1

Mar 31, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Nice doggy, focusing on the eyes instead of the nose give a sharper appearing picture.

4. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    no kidding & go figure (sorry I had to do it)

dof was done by design

5. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

lol Randy ...u just rubbing in the "thin" ....my my, i REALLY need a d3!!!

;-)))

6. That first shot took me a minute. I thought you were just posting a blurry photo, till I spotted the nose. Cool shot!

7. GKR1

GKR1

Apr 19, 2007
    San Diego
    That is one hell of sharp looking nose. WOW!!

8. Cameron

Cameron Guest

Those pups are just adorable.
    Wonderful shots.

9. Dayo

Dayo

May 1, 2006
    Bahrain
    <Rant>
    I must be the dissenting voice that says I do not like any of the shots.

I think they need more DOF or that if shallow DOF is to be used, then this should focus of the eyes.

Nos. 1 & 2 should be focused on the eyes and No. 3 just outright needs more DOF. No. 4 is not bad as a snapshot while No. 5 is again misfocused for a portrait.

As I said, I am sorry to dissent but I find it worrying that photographs with such fundermental and elementary failings can be posted in a community of photographers and be gushingly described as being wonderful.

The lens of course is nice and sharp.
    </Rant>

10. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    i understand completely that you don't like the pics and that's fine...
    i worry about you worrying about us and frankly wonder why you are here if you think these pics have fundermental and elementary failings....i suppose you think i just mised focus on these shots...wow am i worried about you

i like these because the pups have such long noses and frankly getting a sharp pic of a dog is rather boring
    imo it was fun to make their noses poke thru the image

11. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    these were w/ the d300
    the 85 really rocks except for that oof prob it has at 1.4:eek: 

12. :cool: 

13. That nose is so sharp it's a probiscus. :biggrin:

14. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    i'm still shaking my head how narrow the focus is, wow.

15. I like #1. Looks like the nose is sticking out of my screen.

16. You know Randy, I have found very interesting your idea of shooting noses. Yes, we concentrate on the eyes when doing portraits but were rules not meant to be broken?
    You have beautiful dogs and to say that I enjoyed looking at these pictures is an understatement.
    What a shame that Jimmy Durante is not still around!
    William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

17. TVayos

TVayos Guest

Heh, made me smile.

18. Cleo68

Cleo68

Jul 7, 2008
    Bedford, MA
    Actually, to heck with the eye focusing rule. I really like these! IMHO, I think the out of focus nose is more of a distraction with shallow dof focused on the eyes. Cute pics!

19. I could not agree with this more!!!!

Randy, I really like the way you shot these. I too tested out the 85/1.4 on my dogs (though I chickened out and shot at f/1.6 :redface:) . Proportionately, my pups have a much shorter muzzle (Vik's muzzle is actually about 3" long) than your guys do. I followed conventional wisdom and shot for the eyes (not the nose).

I agree heartily with the point above, sharp eyes and OOF nose is a BIG distraction. Your compositions are much more pleasing (and far more flattering to the dog!). Here is what I had:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.