How To: shoot long noses at f1.4

Real Name
Randy
Nute made me do it

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:
N

Nuteshack

lol Randy ...u just rubbing in the "thin" ....my my, i REALLY need a d3!!!

;-)))

<Rant>
I must be the dissenting voice that says I do not like any of the shots.

I think they need more DOF or that if shallow DOF is to be used, then this should focus of the eyes.

Nos. 1 & 2 should be focused on the eyes and No. 3 just outright needs more DOF. No. 4 is not bad as a snapshot while No. 5 is again misfocused for a portrait.

As I said, I am sorry to dissent but I find it worrying that photographs with such fundermental and elementary failings can be posted in a community of photographers and be gushingly described as being wonderful.

The lens of course is nice and sharp.
</Rant>

Real Name
Randy
<Rant>
I must be the dissenting voice that says I do not like any of the shots.

I think they need more DOF or that if shallow DOF is to be used, then this should focus of the eyes.

Nos. 1 & 2 should be focused on the eyes and No. 3 just outright needs more DOF. No. 4 is not bad as a snapshot while No. 5 is again misfocused for a portrait.

As I said, I am sorry to dissent but I find it worrying that photographs with such fundermental and elementary failings can be posted in a community of photographers and be gushingly described as being wonderful.

The lens of course is nice and sharp.
</Rant>
i understand completely that you don't like the pics and that's fine...
i worry about you worrying about us and frankly wonder why you are here if you think these pics have fundermental and elementary failings....i suppose you think i just mised focus on these shots...wow am i worried about you

i like these because the pups have such long noses and frankly getting a sharp pic of a dog is rather boring
imo it was fun to make their noses poke thru the image

You know Randy, I have found very interesting your idea of shooting noses. Yes, we concentrate on the eyes when doing portraits but were rules not meant to be broken?
You have beautiful dogs and to say that I enjoyed looking at these pictures is an understatement.
What a shame that Jimmy Durante is not still around!
William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Actually, to heck with the eye focusing rule. I really like these! IMHO, I think the out of focus nose is more of a distraction with shallow dof focused on the eyes. Cute pics!

Actually, to heck with the eye focusing rule. I really like these! IMHO, I think the out of focus nose is more of a distraction with shallow dof focused on the eyes. Cute pics!
I could not agree with this more!!!!

Randy, I really like the way you shot these. I too tested out the 85/1.4 on my dogs (though I chickened out and shot at f/1.6 :redface:). Proportionately, my pups have a much shorter muzzle (Vik's muzzle is actually about 3" long) than your guys do. I followed conventional wisdom and shot for the eyes (not the nose).

I agree heartily with the point above, sharp eyes and OOF nose is a BIG distraction. Your compositions are much more pleasing (and far more flattering to the dog!). Here is what I had:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom