How to solve the "Twisted Neck Strap" problem

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by SRA, Oct 30, 2005.

1. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    I purchased a couple of LowePro neck straps and cut off the metal removable clips. Next a couple of small rings, found on Swiss Army Knives, were purchased at a local knife store and attached to the strap holder eyelets on my D70s and D2x. To finish, the LowePro metal clips were then threaded to the Nikon neck straps and violia....

This also makes for quick detachments when using on tripods etc.

The leather camera protectors came with the LowePro straps and I recommend using them to protect the finish of your camera, especially on the metal D2x body.

Here is a photo of my D70s with said ensemble:
    orig.

2. Good advice Scott, I've been using that combo (Lowe strap / Victorinox rings) for some time now.

Lowe is the best gear available made by Nikon photogs!!!

3. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Great minds think in the same gutter.
    :biggrin:

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I have a healthy distrust of those sliding latch clippy things. I have caught them on things and seen my cameras head for the floor. Maybe if it locks, but I prefer to thread the actual strap through and secure it with a loop.

5. Oh ye of little faith. :rolleyes:

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Well, you know, drop a camera once and you can blame it on the clip. Drop a camera twice ...

7. Chris, when I first got my S3Pro, I used to have the threaded neckstrap attached all the time. It caught on my seat corner in my kayak and I almost went into the drink... me, camera, lenses, etc - all due to that neckstrap. I then installed a system exactly like this one posted by Scott and only use the neckstrap during walkarounds, etc. If I'm using the camera at home, around the house, etc, OFF comes the strap to avoid mishaps. A buddy of mine also had an accident, dropping his camera onto pavement - all due to the dreaded neckstrap! *scratching head: gee, I wonder if it's all a plot by the camera companies to make $$$ in repairs!!???* LOL