1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

How to spend £1,200 on glass

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by goatee, Aug 11, 2008.

1. So, I'm currently a Canon shooter, and getting the itch to switch.

My current setup is 30D + 17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/4 (non-IS), 50mm f/1.8, and 85mm f/1.8. I switched from having 1DM2, 24-70 f/2.8, and 70-200 f/4, in order to make the move to a 5D, but now the D300 is looking more tempting.

The D300 is the best crop body on the market right now, and it's really tempting me. Whilst Canon were ahead of the field for a few years, Nikon has really got the bit between its teeth, and the D3, D300, and D700 are all amazing cameras.

My main subject of interest, is portraits - many of kids running round the park, but also studio style portraits, with studio lights.

So, out of the £2,100 I have, £900 will go on a D300, and then I have £1,200 to get glass of a similar quality to the L glass I currently have.

I've been considering a few options.

1. 18-200 VR + some primes for when image quality counts - possibly 35mm f/2, 85mm f/1.8, and a longer one.
    2. 24-85, 70-300 VR + some primes
    3. 24-70 f/2.8 + 70-300 VR.

So. . . anybody have any sensible suggestions for me?

Thanks!

2. Wail

Wail

Aug 14, 2007
    Saudi Arabia
    Just out of curiousity, where are you getting the D300 for £900? I can't find it anywhere - other than Amazon - for less than ~£950!?

3. prowicz

prowicz Guest

You could try the 24-70 which will cost around £1000. I own it and its a great lens. Will work great for portrait work with quite a large f stop and its 105 mm effective FL.

Or you might like to consider the 70-200 VR, this works superbly on a DX body (captures at its sweat spot) you will not get a better 'zoom' for portrait work. I really disliked my old 18-200 VR. It just did not cut the mustard in build quality or performance. But I know lots who like it! With a 11 x zoom, you have to take the compromises I guess.

Go on get the 70-200 VR, its a magical lens on a DX body - oh go on!!! ;-)

Mark

4. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    17-55 + 70-200VR if you can afford it. You won't need primes unless you need the DOF or low light capability as those zooms will perform better.

Personally though, I would wait until the 5DII is announced before switching.

5. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    You have some fine glass there. I'd say keep it and wait for the successor to the 5D to come out.

6. leifw

leifw

Jul 25, 2007
    Bozeman, MT
    1) Buy a ticket to the States
    2) Convert your Stirling to American Pesos (or dollars if you prefer)
    3) Buy 1.5x as much

:) 

7. neimac

neimac

May 26, 2008
    Idaho
    "2) Convert your Stirling to American Pesos (or dollars if you prefer) "

ROFL, its really starting to feel like I am getting paid in Pesos. :rolleyes: 

8. Hokey cokey, so maybe I'll wait until 5DII is announced, so I can decide. Going to meet someone to play with their D300 tomorrow - quite excited to see what it's like, because even die hard Canon shooters I know, praise the ergonomics of the Nikon bodies, so it will be interesting to see how it performs.

9. kays

kays

Aug 9, 2008
    Maryland
    So. . . anybody have any sensible suggestions for me?

Are you kidding? Let me get this right - you switched from a 1dm2 (1.3 crop, $3000) to a 30d (1.6 crop, $1000) so you could buy a 5d (full frame, now $1800)? And now you want a d300 (1.5 crop, $~1,900)? But you may wait for the 5d replacement (full frame, $3,000)? Lust, indeed!

Have you priced all the "little stuff" that you'll need to switch? (flash...etc.)

Then the next question - suppose you were able to unload all your Canon stuff without losing your shirt (ha!), and get :875: "The D300 is the best crop body on the market right now":Love:, (which is probably true...) what are your plans six month from now when the next whiz-bang obsoletes your new best body? Will you have had time to read the manual even?

The ultimate question is whether all this "fun" will produce any better images than you are producing now.

If you are a pro - will the change make you more money (or save you money)?

I guess this is in the appropriate column - lens Lust

Good luck, whatever you do.:Curved:

10. Hehe, ok, yes, so basically, I had a 40D, and then saw the opportunity to try a 1 series body. For various reasons, the 1 series body was not right for me, so I sold it. I then thought I'd see if I can get a FF body, but didn't want to be without a body, so it made most sense to buy an older 1.6 crop body, so that when I came to sell, I wouldn't lose much money.

Ok, so, I've bought all my gear secondhand, and added small amounts of money here and there, so I really won't lose much by selling it all. The only little thing I'll have to sell is a wireless shutter release, but since I used it once, I won't miss that ;) . For flash, I'll spend £20 or £30 to get the appropriate Metz shoe, and no change there.

Will the new gear help me get better images? Questionable. Will the lust encourage me to play more, and shoot more? Definitely, so the end result will end up in me getting better images. I've shot Canon DSLRs for 3 years or so now. Will I want to switch back again in 3 years or so? Perhaps, but because of the way I buy and sell (carefully on forums), I don't burn money.

11. kays

kays

Aug 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Good luck, whatever you do!

12. Hehe, thanks - well, I'm selling up now - sold my 30D, and 85mm f/1.8, and provisionally 70-200 as well. Just 17-40, 24-105, and 50mm f/1.8 to go.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.