How to stop the calls?

At least twice a day, sometimes more, I get an automated call from Rewards 660, who I assume is a Visa credit card outfit from what I can research on the internet. Basically the caller says that I need to call a 1-866 number, that it is an urgent matter!.
First of all, I don't have a Rewards 660 account, but I do have a Visa card which is paid in full every month.
Secondly, I DON'T WANT a Rewards 660 account!
After several days of this annoyance I called the number and told the lady, in pretty abrupt terms, to STOP the calls, to which she answered.. "May I have your name?"
I answered "if I give you my name will you stop the calls?"
She says... "I'll try"
I took that as a no and hung up.
Something tells me I'm not the only one in the world getting calls from this particular outfit. Does anyone know how to stop them?
Jarrell

If you have their number turn it around and call them 20 times a day. Tell them you just can't fit in this modern society after being released from the state institution and need someone to discuss all your problems. See how long you can keep them on the line.:biggrin:

Cheers

Ted:smile:

Tell them firmly that you want to be put on their do-not-call list. Don't give them your name. They already have your phone number, so they have all they need.

It may take awhile to take effect but, by law, they have to comply.

On the other hand this may work as well, if you want quicker action....

A few days after moving into my new home, I started receiving 3 or 4 calls per day from an outfit called something like "IR Reader". I ignored the calls (I have caller ID), but finally picked up after about the 10th call.

The caller had my name and phone number (which was strange since it was new, UNLISTED, and only about 5 days old). He started to say something like, as a credit card holder, I'm in the running for a grand prize. Then he asked which of my credit cards I use the most. I could already see where this was going.....so I said, "I don't even know who you are....". He immediately hung up, and hasn't called back since.

So, if you feel that it's a scam, play along for a minute or two then let them know that you know its a scam. You'll be off their call list before you know it.

i get something similar, except that it's a RECORDED message and they call me twice a day, and tell me to call some 1800 number.

Real Name
Doug
You can also put your number on the Do Not Call List.

This may not work if the people calling are associated in any way with the bank that issued his Visa card. One of the exceptions to the do not call rules is that anyone with a "business relationship" with you can call. The only thing that may work in that case is to tell the caller to add you to the caller's do not call list.

Jarrell, the Do Not Call link that Gary suggested earlier works. I've been on it for 18 months. It took about 2 months to fully kick it. The law must have some teeth in it. I rarely get solicited (by phone :wink:) these days, but when I do I just say, "are you aware that I'm on the do not call list?", and they slink away. Give it a try.

https://www.donotcall.gov/

Here's my system:

1. Add number to Do Not Call List
2. Enter numbers of people I am willing to speak with in the phone's "Phonebook"
3. Change ringtone for above numbers to something other than the default
4. Ignore all incoming calls with default ringtone.

Legitimate callers not in my Phonebook will leave a message (junk callers almost never do). Interestingly, my brain reprogrammed itself to filter out the default ringtone after the first ring (kinda cool how our brains work :smile:).

Most junk callers eventually give up (sometimes takes 2 or 3 months) but, since I delete their rings from my auditory input queue, it's not a problem. Not a completely foolproof system, but it has dramatically increased the serenity level around here.

Hi Jarrell,

Do a bit of research, get the name of your state's attorney general. When they call be sure to get their name and number and then tell them you are on the do-not-call list and will forward the information to "xxx my state attorney general for follow up". Whether you actually do it is up to you, but they are usually elected officials and do respond to citizen complaints since they want your vote.

The fines are "per call" and the AG's can accumulate several hundred calls and collect 6 figure settlements.

Bob

S

spencer313

Be aware that when you call an 800-number, they get all your caller ID information even if you have caller ID blocked. Most people do not realize this. They pay the dime, they get the info. Once they log that you called them, they may be able to beat the rap on violating the Do Not Call list.

You can also put your number on the Do Not Call List.

This is no longer that effective. When the law was first implemented, my tele-marketer calls dropped significantly. Now it's back up to where it was before DNC started. The problem is that tele-marketers have found ways around it. I now get calls that originate overseas or from spoofed phone numbers. (I get calls all the time from 000-000-0000 or 444-444-4444 or from other non-existent phone numbers.) There is no way to register a complaint. Very frustrating.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I think Doug is correct in that the Do Not Call list doesn't apply to banks and the like. THAT law needs to be changed. I thought I was already on the national do not call list, but I'll do it again. I must still be on it though as this is the only call of this nature I receive.
I'd really hate to have the persons job, the one I spoke to.. she must catch it several times a day. But that's her problem, isn't it still illegal to force someone to work where they don't want to?
Anyway, thanks again for the help!
Jarrell

Keep in mind that even if you're on the do-not-call list, when they have a business relationship with you they can still call you without your permission.

And "business relationship" is defined pretty vague in this context - you calling them is probably enough to establish that relationship :frown:

Shoot them.

Honestly I have no respect for telemarketers. They are lower than the lowest scum on the planet. Hell even lawyers and politicians do something good for society once in a while. I have more respect for people that beg for money on the street with a bottle of booze in their hand.

Here's a bit of trivia: a lot of telemarketing operations are run out of prisons. Yes; could very well be an inmate calling you during family dinner!!! :eek:

can't help it...and it might be very childish, but when we get a junk call....(2-3 times a day) whomever answers in my home has been "programmed" to say "yes ***** is in, I'll just go get them" and then puts the phone on the counter and leaves it off the hook for ages.....they get bored before we do....and it at least costs them money to wait for a while because they are not local calls

I've been on the do not call list since it started. For a while, no calls which was great! Now, they call anyway, sometimes averaging about five calls a day. Some leave messages, some don't. In my state if I wanted to get records from the phone company of who has been calling my number I have to get a court order. :frown:

I have learned to listen for a distinct click or a slight pause after I say hello. If I hear that, I hang up as it is a telemarketer. A person will answer right away after.

MikeT

A

adrianaitken

Jarrell, it costs them when you phone the number. So, do a Homer and get an automated phone ringer (check if it's legal in your state) and phone them every minute. Hangup when they answer. They will be billed a minimum charge. I would suggest doing it in the daytime (if you work daytimes) and nighttimes (when you're asleep).
Their phone bill will soon bankrupt them and they'll stop phoning :biggrin:

Latest threads

Top Bottom