How to take self portrait with Z50 on tripod?

Hi everyone, I've been trying to take a self portrait using my Z50 and a tripod but I cannot get the camera to autofocus on me like it does in "self portrait mode". The problem is once you are using a tripod you cannot rotate the screen out to activate self portrait mode. I've tried various focus modes but none will let me get the camera to focus on me when I'm in front of it!

How can I do this? Maybe there is a manual way to activate the self portrait mode? Or am I missing something more simple? Surely I can activate the eye tracking continuous focus somehow?

Thanks in advance

You could auto focus on something positioned where you will be. Then change the focus to manual focus. Then you could return to your position and remotely release the shutter or release the shutter using a delayed timer before returning to your position. I realize that might require temporarily positioning something, and if so, that would be a pain in the neck.

There are lots of remote shutter releases on the market using Bluetooth or their own WiFi that are controlled on your cell phone that would allow you to use your standard autofocus. It's a shame the Z cameras don't support the simple, inexpensive, infrared remote control that releases the shutter that the DSLRs support.

There are lots of remote shutter releases on the market using Bluetooth or their own WiFi that are controlled on your cell phone that would allow you to use your standard autofocus.
That's why I suggested Cascable. It does work as I suggested above...I just tested it. Cascable is a free app unless you want the "Pro" features, which I don't need.

Jim and Mike, this may be detracting from the OP question, but what is the benefit of other apps over snapbridge? You can use it as a shutter release with delayed shooting as well. Just curious.

Jim and Mike, this may be detracting from the OP question, but what is the benefit of other apps over snapbridge? You can use it as a shutter release with delayed shooting as well. Just curious.
Cascable allows control of more camera settings than does Snapbridge. I'm not prepared to quote chapter and verse at the moment, but I recommend that you try it and see what you think. It works for all Nikon cameras supporting wi-fi connection.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
ok yes I thanks for that - managed to use cascable, didn't try the nikon app so thanks for that tip. What's annoying is that I can't just use the built in face or eye detection to continuously track - clearly the camera can do it when in self portrait mode. I cannot find any way to enable self portrait mode other than fully folding down the display. I feel like there should be a manual option to turn it on, it's such a cool feature but held back!

I might have to order something to allow me to fold the display down while on a tripod. I see there are some adaptors to do that.

Thanks for your responses, if anyone does discover how to turn this mode on without moving out the display please let me know.

Last edited:
what is the benefit of other apps over snapbridge?
I'm not familiar with snapbridge, but as in everything, the benefits depend entirely on your needs. Capabilities include:
  • Not requiring the camera to support WiFi (because the device provides either Bluetooth or its own WiFi)
  • Remote shutter release activated by sound, motion or light
  • Focus bracketing
  • Reviewing the image before and after capture on a computer, tablet or cell phone either close to or far away from the camera
  • Perhaps other capabilities I can't think of off the top of my head

I'm not familiar with snapbridge, but as in everything, the benefits depend entirely on your needs. Capabilities include:
  • Not requiring the camera to support WiFi (because the device provides either Bluetooth or its own WiFi)
  • Remote shutter release activated by sound, motion or light
  • Focus bracketing
  • Reviewing the image before and after capture on a computer, tablet or cell phone either close to or far away from the camera
  • Perhaps other capabilities I can't think of off the top of my head
I've used snapbridge. Just not a lot. Thanks, Mike.

I used snapbridge with my Z6 to do a self-portrait for my profile at work. I thought I even had the eye detect focusing working. The process was pretty seamless.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom