How to Treat Canine Upset Tummies?

It's spring, my fenced in backyard is often visited by Bugs, Sandy, Chip/Dale and the occasional Pepe LePue. Underneath my shed provides the visitors cover/concealment & temporary relief from the occasional hawks and huge crows flying around.

Winston & Penny, my two middle-aged weenie dogs protect their property instinctive to Doxies and will chase & dig after anything. They are normally voracious eaters but have lost their appetite, going on 2 days. This happened a few years ago when both attempted to bring rabbit entrails into the house. So far they have captured & killed 3 animals over the years. I think they got another one, I have not checked underneath the shed yet. Last time, their gastro discomfort only lasted a half day.

So what to do? There's lots of fresh water available. They are not eating the grass. Shall I try bitters & soda, pepto bismo? Unseasoned drained ground beef or chicken & white rice? Let it ride?

I can't stop laughing inside about this but now I am feeling their discomfort.

I know what you are talking about. I live in Western Loudoun and my dogs eat everything!

Best thing for this is plain old boiled chicken and white rice. Avoid the human food treats and left overs until it is gone.

Real Name
Mike
I always give mine a bit of pepto-bismo when he seems to have an upset stomach. He's about 40 lbs and I don't give him more than a half a tablet. Seems to make him feel better.

One of the best natural food to give to settle an upset stomach is to get some fresh pumpkin (NOTHING from a can), cut it into about 1/2" squares, steam it for about 8 minutes and feed about a table spoon every hr.
Keep it refrigerated after it has been steamed.
Also for their dinner you can give them Chicken Necks with the fat removed (if you can get them from your super market or butcher), and with this an equal serve of the steamed pumpkin, also shredded carrot and a small amount of rice.

My wife is a fanatic on giving our 3 retrievers only natural food, and has a web site where she has published treats she has cooked for ours and also some neat hints on how certain natural foods help a furry animal family...

This is the link to 3mbakery...

When my 2 dogs have upset stomachs they want to eat grass. Not sure why, but they ask to go outside and they just start eating grass. The vet tells us this is normal for many dogs, and does them no harm. I always leave a small area that I do not mow so they have some nice, tall grass in the event they need some. They do not seem to like the short, cut grass. It is not often they do this, rare actually, but you never know when they will need it. Does pose a problem in the winter though when no grass is available.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the best natural food to give to settle an upset stomach is to get some fresh pumpkin (NOTHING from a can), cut it into about 1/2" squares, steam it for about 8 minutes and feed about a table spoon every hr.
Keep it refrigerated after it has been steamed.
Also for their dinner you can give them Chicken Necks with the fat removed (if you can get them from your super market or butcher), and with this an equal serve of the steamed pumpkin, also shredded carrot and a small amount of rice.

My wife is a fanatic on giving our 3 retrievers only natural food, and has a web site where she has published treats she has cooked for ours and also some neat hints on how certain natural foods help a furry animal family...

This is the link to 3mbakery...
I actually use the canned pumpkin for my boxer (as recommended by the breeder) for tummy and loose poops. works like a charm.

I actually use the canned pumpkin for my boxer (as recommended by the breeder) for tummy and loose poops. works like a charm.
This will work, but the main reason for not using canned pumpkin is that a lot of it that is available has a high salt & sugar count added with preservatives.
Plus when using natural pumpkin, don't remove the skin (before steaming) as this is very beneficial to the dogs.

I guess, if you can't go the natural route, just ensure you read the ingredient label on the can and get the one that has the least additives to the pumpkin.
But as "rbsinto" stated, if this condition has been effecting them for more than a day, well maybe you should seek the advice of your Vet as they may have eaten something more nasty or be suffering from another medical condition..!!!.

You can get the good canned pumpkin from the dog stores. Specifically for this. :) It is called tum yum or something like that. It works best for the runs though I find. Otherwise chicken and rice as suggested or some pepcid can really help a lot. You can look online for the dosage.

And yes I do self medicate too. I learn from past experience what is suggested by my Doc/vet and feel confident going ahead. ;) My dogs are never outside alone so don't get into anything. If you think there is a toxin possibility then I would head to the vet straight away.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom