How to use third flash

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by ashman, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Now I have an SU800 I will no longer have my SB800 mounted on my body as a commander, so I would like some advice as to how I can put to use when shooting portraits. I already have two SB600's in stands with umbrellas so if I can use the third flash somehow in a useful way that would be great.

AM

2. doesn't the SU-800 command up to 3 groups? just use it get more power or faster recycle in an existing group or put light in from another angle as a 3rd group.

3. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Most commonly used for a hair light or background light. If you use them outside, you may need all three in one group to compete with the sun.

4. triebs2

triebs2 Guest

Ashman, John has it --- give the portrait more kick with a hairlight or backlight for more separation. Either find something high out of the frame to strap that strobe onto, or put it in the ground pointing up at the back of your subject. Or, if your background is agreeable, bounce it off the background behind your subject for some nice separation. Through a gel on there to get a little different color with that highlight flash. Have fun.

5. acolo63

acolo63

Aug 11, 2008
    Santa Cruz, CA
    How far from the background should the flash be?

6. I use my third flash as a hair light and mount it on a boom.

7. I'd suggest you use your most powerful strobe, the sb800, as your main light. Use one of the sb600's for fill, and the other sb600 as a background, hair, or kicker light.

Background light
    This series demonstrates the versatility of a third flash as a background light. The shot at the upper left was taken without a background light. The shot next to it was taken using the bare flash. All of the others were taken... using the same background... with various gels over the flash head.

original.gif

Hair light
    I bounced the third flash off a low, white ceiling. The remote was in manual, at 1/128 power.

View attachment 231116

Kicker
    I placed the remote on a very low tripod positioned behind the subject, and used it to emphasize the model's outline.

View attachment 231117

8. jshurak

jshurak

Aug 14, 2008
    Philadelphia
    I like what Uncle Frank's thinking. You could use it as a hair light, or you can throw some edgy rim/backlight in there. Regardless, get creative with it!