1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

How was this image made?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TZ250, Jul 30, 2009.

1. TZ250

TZ250

Jul 16, 2008
    Ohio, USA
    Everyone,
    Do you think that this is a compilation of two images? It's the only way that I know of that allow this kind of photograph.

There's a lot that I don't know. That's why I'm asking the friendly folks here. :smile:

http://www.astropics.com/

2. boyscout

boyscout

Mar 19, 2009
    Toronto
    Rob, most of them are definitely composite images, although a couple look as though they may have been light-painted.

The former is ery easy to do with a digital camera and tripod, two or more different exposures, and decent photo-editing software. The latter not hard... a long exposure with one or more pops of the flash onto highlights.

Most of them DON'T look like HDR (High Dynamic Range) images to me, but I have no experience creating these so I might be wrong. HDRs are a step beyond simple composites, often using specialized software to create an image from several differently-exposed images.

Lot's to explore... welcome to the hobby!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2009
  3. More than likely, it's a series of stacked images (anywhere from 30 to over 200, is not uncommon), taken by a dslr mounted either directly to a tracking mount or on top of a telescope on a tracking mount.

Astrophotographers spend 10's of thousands on tracking mounts alone, just to get pictures like this.

-Fred

4. I'm with Fred. There would have to be multiple techniques and tools involved in achieving images like this - as well as many years of experience.

Stacking images, a very good tracking mount, gradient filters, special filters for filtering and enhancing specific light wavelengths - he might even be using specialty films and exotic developing processes.

Whatever the tools and techniques, they are spectacular images that have won him many deserved, prestigious awards!

5. There are a number of threads on the internet where Wally is accused of PP and all that; he actually responds on some of them trying to describe his methods. He did say that some of his images are composites.

Sean

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.