How was this image made?

Everyone,
Do you think that this is a compilation of two images? It's the only way that I know of that allow this kind of photograph.

There's a lot that I don't know. That's why I'm asking the friendly folks here. :smile:

http://www.astropics.com/

Rob, most of them are definitely composite images, although a couple look as though they may have been light-painted.

The former is ery easy to do with a digital camera and tripod, two or more different exposures, and decent photo-editing software. The latter not hard... a long exposure with one or more pops of the flash onto highlights.

Most of them DON'T look like HDR (High Dynamic Range) images to me, but I have no experience creating these so I might be wrong. HDRs are a step beyond simple composites, often using specialized software to create an image from several differently-exposed images.

Lot's to explore... welcome to the hobby!

Last edited by a moderator:
More than likely, it's a series of stacked images (anywhere from 30 to over 200, is not uncommon), taken by a dslr mounted either directly to a tracking mount or on top of a telescope on a tracking mount.

Astrophotographers spend 10's of thousands on tracking mounts alone, just to get pictures like this.

-Fred

I'm with Fred. There would have to be multiple techniques and tools involved in achieving images like this - as well as many years of experience.

Stacking images, a very good tracking mount, gradient filters, special filters for filtering and enhancing specific light wavelengths - he might even be using specialty films and exotic developing processes.

Whatever the tools and techniques, they are spectacular images that have won him many deserved, prestigious awards!

There are a number of threads on the internet where Wally is accused of PP and all that; he actually responds on some of them trying to describe his methods. He did say that some of his images are composites.

Sean

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom