How were these images processed?

A cousin sent me the link to this interesting photographic report of a drive through rural Maryland and Delaware. My cousin knows the writer/photographer personally and says he is an amateur who he doesn't think would bother to post process his photos. But many of these look to me like heavy-handed HDRs

Is there a setting on a Sony A6300 which would produce jpegs like that?

It's mostly about the history of the area through which he travels, with lots of pictures of the historic sites and his Aston Martin red sports car. He also briefly drops by Conowingo Dam and the multitude of eagle photographers there.

No, most if not all photo software has a multitude of different type of filters you can apply to a photo, zero work load.

Here's an example. This filter is called "rice paper"
Fishing boats

Last edited:
Some do look like heavy handed and (to me!) poorly executed HDR images with poor control over D&B.

I suspect some type of automatic filtering and would suggest for some that the application of -100 highlight and +100 shadow may mimic.

A particularly bad example for me is - The general store and post office building - uneven and unrealistic densities all over the place!

Bear in mind this is my highly personal view of this type of 'imaging' YMMV considerably!

Some do look like heavy handed and (to me!) poorly executed HDR images with poor control over D&B.

I suspect some type of automatic filtering and would suggest for some that the application of -100 highlight and +100 shadow may mimic.

A particularly bad example for me is - The general store and post office building - uneven and unrealistic densities all over the place!

Bear in mind this is my highly personal view of this type of 'imaging' YMMV considerably!
Your opinion and mine are congruent, but I do see how some might like it.

Real Name
Lewis Lorton
That could be the 'vivid' setting.
The first few of those shots and the ones of Conowingo Dam are familiar to me; I lived just 4 or 5 miles south of the author.
Another interesting feature of that damn is the walkway that runs along its face about 30 feet off the water. Huge carp (up to 3 feet long) live at the base and fisherman use heavy bait rods to entice them and then lower big dip nets on a rope to scoop them out of the water.

If you want to try and mimic the global look you could try copying one of the more "natural" looking images and bringing it into Photoshop.
Once in PS then for ease just open the Camera Raw filter and adjust the Highlights to -100, Shadows to +100 experiment with the white and black points and dehaze. That should take care of the look globally so next would be local control to contast, density and colour.

Not suggesting that this was how images altered but just a way to mimic, the photographer may have used a specific filter.

There is one thing that I did like about the images - the car! - but that has nothing to do with the photographic interpretation ;)

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. From my cousin's comments I suspect the author used some setting on the camera but I could be wrong. I don't think any of them are multi-frame HDR stacks which often produces effects like that.

I lived in Newark, Delaware and worked in northern Maryland near Conowingo Dam for five years many years ago, so I'm somewhat familiar with that area also.

Snow in a few of the photos has a blue tint, looks odd. I think they’ve had something done to them, no idea what. Colors look over saturated. Liked the story, I grew up in Cooperstown where the Susquehanna begins, had no idea it got to a mile wide. It was 15-20 feet wide coming out of Otsego Lake.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom