1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

How will you use YOUR D700?

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by DrJay32, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Primary Body Only

57.8%
  2. Backup Body to a D3

11.1%
  3. Primary body with a D300 as backup

26.7%
  4. Compact "D3 Junior" kit

13.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. DrJay32

DrJay32

Oct 14, 2006
    Colorado, USA
    I've been wondering how those of us who intend on purchasing a D700 intend to use it in their kit.

1- Primary Body only

2- Backup to a D3

3- Primary body with D300 (or other DX body) as back-up

4- Compact "D3 Junior" for travel

For me, it would probably be a combination of #2 and #4, depending on the shoot.

-Jason

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2008
  2. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

i'll take pictures with mine ..lol

:tongue:
    :wink:

3. Hehe, me too.

How about a choice for "primary body with other dx backup"?
    Not all of us will be backing up with a 300. I'll be using my 200 for a while. Sort of skews the results...

4. DrJay32

DrJay32

Oct 14, 2006
    Colorado, USA
    Good point. Alhtough the similarity of accessories between D300 and D700 (batteries, grip) makes a compelling pairing.

-Jason

5. Didn't know I was getting one :biggrin: Gee, thanks Dr. Jay:wink:

I'm happy with my D2X.

6. Looking forward o using my 50 and 85 1.4 and also ordered the 24-70.

7. Eye Spy

Eye Spy Guest

LOL!!! That's what I was thinking too!:rolleyes: 

8. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    ditto

d200 will be my backup as well.

9. jamesd3rd

jamesd3rd

May 4, 2007
    So. Cal
    Maybe I'll test the watertight integrity and go diving and see how deep I can take it. :biggrin:

10. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

ha ha ha i didnt know i was getting one either?man you just never know!

11. If I eventually get one, it will be the primary camera with two D300 bodies.

I had thought of ditching a D300 and 17-55, but frankly, that would be stupid. The combo will be worth $1800 to $2000 by late fall, the earliest I could afford a D700. That's just about enough to buy a 24-70, no body. So what's the point? The improvements would be marginal. Same FL range, rarely use it above 400, rarely make prints larger than 8X10 from this combo.

I see a D700 fitting into my outfit, primarily a PJ and wedding outfit, for situations where I'd use a prime. Specifically, I would pair the D700 with a 35 f/2, 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.4 and a couple of my favorite AI lenses, the 28 f/2 and 105 f/2.5 and 2.8 micro.

The 28-70 I have is stellar for portraits on the DX format, so I don't see the D700 wresting it from that body. Again, seldom go above 800, which is just beautiful on the D300, seldom do larger than 8X10.

The other use would be extra wide shots -- I have a 14-24 and that will be the perfect range on the D700 as long as I keep the 17-55/D300 combo.

In short, the D700 is of interest because it expands the usefulness of my existing lenses and, in theory, will offer better noise than the D300. This remains to be seen; a lot of assumptions have been made about this camera based on the sensor alone. A lot of assumptions were made about the D300 that didn't pan out: improved color, significantly better noise than the D200, for example.

My cameras are tools that have to earn their keep and return a profit. At this point and at the $3K price point, the D700 probably wouldn't make any more money for me than a D200 or D300. Factor in the really crummy economy and 50-percent decline in wedding bookings over the previous year and 80-percent decline in commercial work, and it's a no-brainer. The price needs to fall significantly or business improve tremendously before I'll spring for a D700.

12. MrCupHolder

MrCupHolder

Jul 3, 2008
    Australia
    Well I've said that I'll use it as my primary body only.

I currently have a D100. Whilst that could be called a backup I don't really think that I will use it as such. I rarely photograph any events where having a backup camera could be warranted. That and because it uses different batteries it would mean having to keep those charged all the time without ever actually using them which I in the end just would end up giving up doing.

I'm actually considering turing it into an IR camera.

The other thing I'm also considering is to sell the 12-24 and the 18-35 and replace them both with the 14-24, but that may be a little down the track. Though I feel the sooner I move on that I'll probably get more for those two lens's. Anyway I'm just thinking aloud here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.