How Would You Do This

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by greyflash, Aug 29, 2005.

1. I like this image but do not like the white spot in the upper right hand corner. I have often cloned similar problems out with branches and leaves from trees. How would you fix this??

2. I love the image Gordan. how about cloning in the green that is beside the excess light? I am no PS guru so naturally I would take a minimilistic approach.
    Dave

3. One Solution

Gordon, there are always six way to Sunday when you're modifying an image in photoshop. I masked the objectionable area and then replaced the color with one from the neutral area below to place the focus on this lovely young woman's face. Is this what you were looking for?

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

BTW, Beautiful picture and model. Is she any relation?

4. Hi Virginia and thanks for your input. The area below her arm is actually part of her shirt. To me this makes it look altered to put that color in the above area. I am trying to find something a little more subtle so that it doesn't look like it is photoshopped. I would be interested in knowing the steps you took to mask and replace the area. As an example I can easily select the above white area with a magic erasure but after I have done that I am at a loss as to what to do with it then.

As you can see, I am still a neophyte with PS but I am also a quick study when it is explained to me. Normal processing and certain other procedures I have no problem with but I am still learning layers, masking, etc. What I would really like to do with the white space is to make it blend with the upper left corner but I am also open to any suggestions you or others might have.

The model is no relation, rather she is a high school senior who asked me to do some shots of her for her senior picture. I have a bunch more that are good but I liked this one and wanted to fix it up. Her inigmatic smile is part of her personality and I tried to capture that.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2005
  5. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I would clone the non-white areas between her arm and the white.

6. One of the problems I have here Ken is that there is not much of the non-white area to clone. I have actually done that and because of the many similar cloned areas it does look photoshopped (to me at least).

Thanks for your input Ken.

7. Thanks for you comments Dave. Your suggestion will be my fall back position unless someone can come up with a better approach.

8. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

This is how I did it, and I couold have spent more time and improved it....

38392408_25d121823c_o.

9. That is really quite good Ken and far less distracting than the white area.

10. Lesson One: The Mask

Gordon, this is complicated to explain. First you need to learn how to make a mask. Masks are great because they give flexibility to add or subject to the selected area. Duplicate your background layer by dragging it down the icon adjacent to the trash can. With the duplicate layer selected, select the icon with the square and the circle in the middle. On the duplicated layer you will now see another window to the right. That is where you create your mask. In the tools pallette, make sure you have the default colors, black in the foreground and white in the background. From the tools pallette select the pen tool and brush size. Now start painting with the brush tool the area you wish to mask. As you start to paint, you will see a black outline being created in that window. You can turn the eyeball off on the background layer and see what areas you've covered and which ones you haven't. If you make a mistake and over shoot, go to the tools pallette and reverse the colors so the white square is on the top. The white color acts as an eraser and you can use the magnifier to go down to the pixel level for more precise work.

Try this and see if you can make a mask and get back to me.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

11. Ok Virginia, I have made a mask as you instructed. Now that I have the mask what do I do now?

Also, this was an interesting excecise and one that I had done before but it seem to me that it is easier to select this area with a magic erasure, am I missing something?

12. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Ken, that looks great!

13. Lovely picture, Gordon. Here's my try at modifying the upper right quadrant.

original.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2005
  14. Thanks for taking the time to do this Frank. Am I right in assuming you cloned from the upper left and moved it to the right?

15. Cloning would have been awkward, Gordon, because of the diminutive size of the source material. I put the image on a layer above a white background. Then I selected and copied a chunk of the stuff from the upper left, moved it to a new layer underneath the picture, and used a free transform to increase it's size. Finally, I erased away the bright stuff on the top layer at the upper right, and let that green-blue material show through. The neat thing is, since I had distorted it during the re-sizing process, it doesn't resemble the stuff at the left at all.

16. papa85

papa85 Guest

Here is my try.

Hi Gordon,,,,,
    This is a quick fix. :biggrin: I first made a Layer with a fill overlay of 50% gray, then on the backround layer I fogged out the photos backround w/ a small brush at 15% opacity, I also adjusted color a bit, Highlited her eyes, Brightened her lips. And WALAA! this is it my fix.. Hope you like.. :smile: :biggrin:

[​IMG]

Beautiful Girl. :Shocked:

17. Frank, that is exactly what I was trying to figure out. I never thought of the Free Transform as a way to stretch it out. Great idea. I think I can do this.

18. Gordon, not to put too fine a point on it but your image has a very slight greenish cast to it. Uncle Frank has had taken most of it out. I would expect a woman with that much red in her hair and freckles to have more of a pink to her skin. My monitor could be off but it is calibrated and I just ran off a print job and the images are extremely close to the image on my screen.

Just my $.02

Rich

19. Thanks Tony, your fix is a good one too but perhaps beyond my capabilities at this point. I appreciate your time and help you have given me.

20. So Many Options

Gordon, congratulations on completing your mask. The reason why masks are better than other methods for making selections is because they don't remove pixels and they can be modified after the fact (e.g, if you make a mistake or want to change something.) Masks block of the photoshop effects so you can treat one part of an image differently from another.

One of the things that's fascinating about photoshop is the different ways you can complete the same task. Look at all the different ways people have come up with for fixing your photo. That's a lot of creativity and talent.

There are many things one can do with masks, but I'm afraid I'll have to leave that discussion for another time.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera