How Would You Do This

Rich Gibson said:
Gordon, not to put too fine a point on it but your image has a very slight greenish cast to it. Uncle Frank has had taken most of it out. I would expect a woman with that much red in her hair and freckles to have more of a pink to her skin. My monitor could be off but it is calibrated and I just ran off a print job and the images are extremely close to the image on my screen.

Just my $.02

Rich
Thanks Rich, I will run a calibration on my monitor as I have not done it for a couple of months. I don't see the green and in fact I just put the image on this website next to the image from my computer and the one on the website is darker and a little more saturated (too much in my opinion). I found that to be interesting and don't know whether that is a pbase problem or something to do with this website. I suspect pbase.

Real Name
Chris
Minimal. Yeah! The bright white affects the whole picture. If you eliminate it entirely, the angelic quality of this photo is changed -- by the way, who is this model, and how did you focus and meter so precisely? The depth of focus is perfect. She looks ... wonderful!

Here's my attempt at keeping the original light, but dimming it's glare:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I see the slight green cast too. And both on a Mac and PC here. More obvious in the PC gamma. And on LCDs and this here CRT.

I like Uncle Frank's version the best. I would have tried to clone one or two of those bokeh points-of-light from the left, but even without that I think it looks smashing.

I agree the DOF and exposure are perfect. Love them freckles!

Chris101 said:
Minimal. Yeah! The bright white affects the whole picture. If you eliminate it entirely, the angelic quality of this photo is changed -- by the way, who is this model, and how did you focus and meter so precisely? The depth of focus is perfect. She looks ... wonderful!

Here's my attempt at keeping the original light, but dimming it's glare:
Hi Chris, I really like your approach and appreciate your PM to help me see what you did. Rachelle is one of four daughter (all nice looking) of a family that I did pictures for. In addition to the family picture I did individual shots of each of the young ladies and will post more later. This is just one of the bunch.

I shot this individual image with my camera on manual and my lens on manual focus. I focused on her eyes and kept the aperature as wide open as I could get and still maintain the shutter speed at 250, the highest sync speed for flash fill on my D2H. I used center spot metering, set my background at -1 EV and then recomposed and let my flash do the fill. I had Gary Fong's Lumishpere II on my SB800.

greyflash said:
I had Gary Fong's Lumishpere II on my SB800.
Hi Gordon....
Can you tell me a little about this lumishere?
Well done with the image... good thinking with running manual with both the camera and lens... i've done this myself and it really helps for getting a super sharp image.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doug Barber said:
Hi Gordon....
Can you tell me a little about this lumishere?
Well done with the image... good thinking with running manual with both the camera and lens... i've done this myself and it really helps for getting a super sharp image.

Hi Doug, thanks for your nice comments. The Lumisphere is manufactured and distributed by Gary Fong via his website. His explanation of it's use would be better than mine since he has pictures. Here is his URL:

http://secure.mycart.net/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=3354218&showprevnext=1

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom