Howl at the moon

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by Frits, May 31, 2007.

1. Just for fun...
    Too bad that it was a bit of a hazy evening. I have to do this again, winter would probably be a better season.

D2x, Nikkor Ai 400mm f/3.5 + TC-201
  2. Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very good moon Frits
    Nice work

Nov 29, 2006
    Very nice Frits. I was setting up to do this last night but my little one woke up early and wanted to be fed. I've only got one break in the treeline where I can get a picture of the moom at this time of year. By the time he was back in bed I had missed my window. I'm going to try going for a drive tonight and find a spot to try this. I'm not sure what I'll get with the 300mm f/4 and the 1.7 TC but I'm going to give it a try.
  4. Yes Frits, that lens and TC combo should be very nice for moon shots. I am envious!
  5. Hi, Frits!

Nice image of the moon. I assume that you had to crop to a good extent on this. Have you tried other celestial objects? You probably need some tracking, such a telescope mount with motor drive, or a barn door tracker you can use by hand. The Andromeda would be perfectly imaged with your rig.

I am a bit jealous, you seem to have nice clear skies. We have had smoke-obscured skies for the last week or so, due to Florida, and Georgia fires. I hope that rain will come soon to our area, as well as to the fire-sticken areas of the South. We are terribly dry here.
  6. Toklat

Aug 31, 2006
    Very nice Frits - and a perfect exposure. It looks like a big ripe melon.
  7. Thanks Joe, nice to "see" you!
    It is cropped somewhat, but not that much. The 400mm + 2X TC gives quite a bit of reach. When aiming at the moon at this combined focal length you can indeed see it move through the viewfinder - it does not stand still!
    But for me this is just a casual fun shot, not worth it for me to invest in tracking equipment.
  8. GastheerG

GastheerG Guest

Frits it´s not your most creative work but technical its ok. Fine combination of "old" but very good Nikkor glass.
  9. Nice shot, Frits! I've always been fascinated with the moon - so much so that I use a moon shot on my website and business cards.
  10. Well done Frits ! Every time you post a picture from that lens I want to drive to your place to play with it.
  11. Anytime my friend, you'll be very welcome to.