Howl at the moon

Just for fun...
Too bad that it was a bit of a hazy evening. I have to do this again, winter would probably be a better season.

D2x, Nikkor Ai 400mm f/3.5 + TC-201
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Very nice Frits. I was setting up to do this last night but my little one woke up early and wanted to be fed. I've only got one break in the treeline where I can get a picture of the moom at this time of year. By the time he was back in bed I had missed my window. I'm going to try going for a drive tonight and find a spot to try this. I'm not sure what I'll get with the 300mm f/4 and the 1.7 TC but I'm going to give it a try.

Hi, Frits!

Nice image of the moon. I assume that you had to crop to a good extent on this. Have you tried other celestial objects? You probably need some tracking, such a telescope mount with motor drive, or a barn door tracker you can use by hand. The Andromeda would be perfectly imaged with your rig.

I am a bit jealous, you seem to have nice clear skies. We have had smoke-obscured skies for the last week or so, due to Florida, and Georgia fires. I hope that rain will come soon to our area, as well as to the fire-sticken areas of the South. We are terribly dry here.

Nice image of the moon. I assume that you had to crop to a good extent on this. Have you tried other celestial objects? You probably need some tracking, such a telescope mount with motor drive, or a barn door tracker you can use by hand. The Andromeda would be perfectly imaged with your rig.

I am a bit jealous, you seem to have nice clear skies. We have had smoke-obscured skies for the last week or so, due to Florida, and Georgia fires. I hope that rain will come soon to our area, as well as to the fire-sticken areas of the South. We are terribly dry here.
Thanks Joe, nice to "see" you!
It is cropped somewhat, but not that much. The 400mm + 2X TC gives quite a bit of reach. When aiming at the moon at this combined focal length you can indeed see it move through the viewfinder - it does not stand still!
But for me this is just a casual fun shot, not worth it for me to invest in tracking equipment.

G

GastheerG

Frits it´s not your most creative work but technical its ok. Fine combination of "old" but very good Nikkor glass.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom