Hows about Sandhill flight shots?

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Backdoctor, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Well, went back for some flight shots. Got to the highschool and about 15 Sandhills were there, but behind the grandstands in the shade. I went down past them to where a couple were in sunlight and while shooting, 3 more flew in and I missed them. I went back to where the pond was in front of me, and the sun behind, and while shooting heard some sandhills in the distance, and saw them make their approach. They were flying into the wind to land:

original.
    original.
    original.
    original.

the only problem, I had pushed the iso to 500 and forgot to lower it back to 400 so there is more noise than I'd like. Anyhow, finally some real flight shots! :biggrin:

2. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Good catch. I was starting to wonder if those suckers could fly.
    I think I like the 2nd and last shots the best.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice Harris. I hope that when I come down, you can get me more of the same. :rolleyes:

4. Well, if we get there early enough, about 15 or so fly in in pairs and small groups late afternoon to roost so we have a chance :smile:

5. Thanks Chris, I finally captured some decent flight shots. It's taken way too long...

6. One word: COOL

Great captures!

7. These are really interesting birds. I like the last two shots the best.

8. Beautiful captures and a great job with all these flight shots. I sure wish we had these guys around here in the PNW.

9. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Those are prime Harris.

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Harris,

Very beautiful flight shots of the Sandhills.

Good job.

11. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Wowwy, nice going Harris! Beautiful details. Did so have a hard time keeping them in the viewfinder?

12. Thanks David, Greg, Jim, Harry and Gale. Finally, after blowing it soooooo many times I got some decent ones. Now to do so in lower iso....

13. Coming in from afar, not so hard, but once they came closer it did get harder.

14. Harris, these look grand, and it looks as if you are getting them well-trained, just like the rest of your Florida Birdies :wink:

I find that I use Auto Iso most often these days, set it at 200 and let it float up from there as needed. Seems to help most at higher ISO's and when I am transitioning from brigh light to shade following a rapidly moving object, like a bird, which happens quite often up here.

Nice teaser for getting me off my butt to plan a trip down your way :smile: :smile:

15. Dont want to push you any BUT, they are at this spot EVERY NIGHT except for friday, which is when the hs has football. When not cloudy, which is most afternoons now, there is no blocking of the late sun till it sets. So you have access to anywhere from 12-20 of these birds. Just a thought... :Devil:

16. Teh 2nd one should be on your wall it is fantastic your best flight shots ever

17. Love Sandhills and you have captured them well.

18. thanks Mike and Gordon, gonna print some up soon.

19. You make it look easy! Great shots!