1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

How's the 35-70 f/2.8 compare to the 28-70 and 17-55?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Jonathan F/2, Apr 5, 2005.

1. So I've decided to pickup a 12-24 f/4 over the 17-55, because I really want a wide angle. Anyways, I still want an f/2.8 and preferably a Nikon, so I'm eyeing the 35-70 f/2.8, and I'm wondering how this lens compares to the 28-70 and 17-55 at f/2.8? Any advice would be appreciated!

2. It's excellent! Not much talked about because it's not afs, push pull and narrow on a Dslr but it's truly an excellent lens.

3. Jonathan, I cannot compare, since I do not have the other lenses. I do have the 35-70 f/2.8 and I find it to be an excellent performer. Sharpness compares with my AF-S 17-35 f/2.8 and my AF-S 80-200 f/2.8.
    It is physically not too intimidating and it can be had at a very reasonable price (new, or used on eBay). Since I have it, I scratched the AF-S 28-70 f/2.8 from my wish list - permanently (Sorry UF!! :D  ).

4. No need to apologize, Frits. I don't make a commission on Nikon's lens sales... unfortunately.

5. Rats, there goes THAT theory :)  :) 

6. Yeah, I was looking to get a cheap portrait/pseudo macro lens. So I'm not too concerned about the wide angle end. Sounds like I'll probably pick one up then, thanks!

7. Then I'd highly recommend the Tamron 28-75/2.8.

8. But how is the f/2.8 performance on the tamron versus the nikon. I'm not fond of third party f/2.8 zooms. I like third party brands, just not for f/2.8 lenses.

Everytime I read somebody's review of a third party zoom, they always state it's tack sharp at f/4 and above...but what's the point of owning a fixed aperture lens if you can't really use it at f/2.8?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.