How's the 35-70 f/2.8 compare to the 28-70 and 17-55?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Jonathan F/2, Apr 5, 2005.

1. So I've decided to pickup a 12-24 f/4 over the 17-55, because I really want a wide angle. Anyways, I still want an f/2.8 and preferably a Nikon, so I'm eyeing the 35-70 f/2.8, and I'm wondering how this lens compares to the 28-70 and 17-55 at f/2.8? Any advice would be appreciated!

2. It's excellent! Not much talked about because it's not afs, push pull and narrow on a Dslr but it's truly an excellent lens.

3. Here's a great review of the 35-70/2.8 vs. the 28-70/2.8.

http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/nikon_articles/nikkor/af/70mm_shootout/index.html

The writer gave the edge to the 35-70/2.8 in terms of sharpness at 70mm. I chose the 28-70, because
    AF-S makes it ideal for event photography, and its range makes it a little more flexible. But everyone I've
    talked to who owns the 35-70 is very high on it.

4. Jonathan, I cannot compare, since I do not have the other lenses. I do have the 35-70 f/2.8 and I find it to be an excellent performer. Sharpness compares with my AF-S 17-35 f/2.8 and my AF-S 80-200 f/2.8.
    It is physically not too intimidating and it can be had at a very reasonable price (new, or used on eBay). Since I have it, I scratched the AF-S 28-70 f/2.8 from my wish list - permanently (Sorry UF!! :D ).

5. No need to apologize, Frits. I don't make a commission on Nikon's lens sales... unfortunately.

6. Rats, there goes THAT theory :) :)

7. Yeah, I was looking to get a cheap portrait/pseudo macro lens. So I'm not too concerned about the wide angle end. Sounds like I'll probably pick one up then, thanks!

8. Then I'd highly recommend the Tamron 28-75/2.8.

9. But how is the f/2.8 performance on the tamron versus the nikon. I'm not fond of third party f/2.8 zooms. I like third party brands, just not for f/2.8 lenses.

Everytime I read somebody's review of a third party zoom, they always state it's tack sharp at f/4 and above...but what's the point of owning a fixed aperture lens if you can't really use it at f/2.8?