Hows the D3 doing @ Olympics?

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by mongoose777, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Whats the latest and are there any shots taken at the olympics by the D3 that we can view. I noticed there was a D3 w/14-24 lens via remote next to the US mens 4x100 relay swim team that took the gold. It still appears that there are notably more white lens out there, especially the new canon 200 f/2IS. Anybody guess/know what the percentages are on how many nikon photogs vs canon. I believe the D3 will blow away the MKIII for the indoor sporting events, but the 200 f/2 IS will give you a run for the money. Whats your take.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2008
  2. my take is that there are still many more canon bodies out there
    so.... you are going to see more canons at this point

because the D3 is THE camera to own for sports photography.... folks will make the switch... eventually
    but....
    most papers/news organizations, etc.... already own MOSTLY CANON products... so, this won't happen overnight

they have thousands of dollars invested in white lenses

yes.... the D3 will do better
    but....
    at the resolution that most magazines use.... it won't matter that much
    and.... you can get "acceptable" NEWPAPER images with a BROWNIE... :rolleyes:

nikon is making the best tools now.... but, no switch will happen overnight...
    that makes no fiscal sense to most folks

3. better and better, Rod Mar of the Seattle Times switched, see his pic of the opening fireworks here.

Also, check out the sports photogs here, lots of Nikons...BTW, this fellow has an interesting blog going...As Greg says, still a lot of Canon due to the investments, and you can still see red ringed Canon glass here, but the world's best seem to be going D3 and it will continue to trickle down. But these folks switch to the best equipment for their trade, and I would hazard that if Canon fixes their AFS problems and/or comes out w/ a D3 challenger, they may switch back...

4. that is a great link and picture
    and your thought about folks switching back.... 100% true
    but..... that's ok.....
    if they wouldn't there would be no reason nikon to improve their bodies... :biggrin:

5. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    I was rather hoping for some women's beach volleyball shots myself. ;)

6. ahhhh, just search Getty Images :biggrin:

7. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    Greg even ME??? :eek::confused:

8. NeilM

NeilM Guest

Well yesterday I attended the Equestrian Cross-country event, hosted in Hong Kong. And all of the pro-photogs that used Nikon had D3's, even some amatuer ones. I tell you, seeing all those 400 2.8 VR's is bad for ones LL...

9. I love this old photo of the 2002 Olympics, just imagine what Nikon's room looks like this year!

10. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    found an even better photo (taken with a canon :wink:)

canikon.jpg

11. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Somebody want to volunteer to count all these cameras and we can get a Canon to Nikon ratio? (My eyes are crossing just looking at them...)

12. Well I got...
    Black 39
    White 33
    Not too shabby...:biggrin:
    The real winner is Domke by the looks of it...

13. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    rod's blog is a good read, and he has some nice photos too, all with the D3.

ricky

14. marn

marn

Mar 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    wow.. i guess that's why all the telephotos are on backorder.

15. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    A lot of fantastic images coming from Beijing.

16. Why Domke? If its because of the vests those are issued to each photog with a number, so the venues know who are there. Even then it is Kodak sponsored.