How's the focus ring on your 35mm/1.4 AI?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by tfenne, Sep 4, 2008.

1. tfenne

tfenne

Apr 10, 2008
    Cambridge, MA
    Quick question for owners, past and present, of the Nikkor 35mm f/1.4 AI. How stiff is the focus ring? My girlfriend just bought me a used copy from keh for my birthday (yay her!). The focus ring is very smooth but much much stiffer than the focus ring on my 50/1.2 AIS. Just wondering if this is normal or indicative of impending problems. Thanks!

2. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    AI or AIS? on my AIS it's very nice, stiff is not a word i'd use to describe it.
    You might ask KEH about it since they have a warranty period and if it doesn't seem right, they might be able to fix it for you for nothing or cheap. if it she bought it in EX or better condition, i would expect it to not present any doubts... nice girlfriend! marry her.

3. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    The focus on AI lenses is often firmer than AIS. Not sure if it just because they are older and the grease has dried up, or if they used heavier grease in the first place.

4. tfenne

tfenne

Apr 10, 2008
    Cambridge, MA
    It's actually a BGN rated lens from keh. After reading so many positive reviews of keh's BGN lenses I thought it'd be fine - and truthfully it looks great (just a few minor scuffs on the barrel) and the glass is perfect. It's definitely the AI (not AIS) btw.

Since I have 60 days to make up my mind I guess I'll try it out for a couple of weeks and see if it loosens up any or if I just get used to it. Thanks guys.

5. They've always ranged from 'normal'(average for a Ai/Ais lens) to very light(grease evaporated--Danger!). I've never encountered a stiff 35/1.4. Maybe the previous owner had the original light grease replaced with something stiffer?

6. The 35/1.4's I've had over the decades have always ranged from 'normal'(average for a Ai/Ais lens) to very light(grease evaporated--Danger!). I've never encountered a stiff 35/1.4. Maybe the previous owner had the original light grease replaced with something stiffer?