How's this for Radio Controlled action?

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Cleanmaxx Brian, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Hi all,
    First let me say I shoot lots of Radio Controlled piston powered planes. But yesterday I was treated to my first JET RALLY! To the people who have never seen this stuff before, let me try to explain. This is the most REAL awe-inspiring thing I have ever seen. The smell (They run on jet fuel!), The sound (Real turbine engines), The speed (200MPH), The detail (The cockpits were incredible!!!) the action!!! Even when they land the nose even bobs on the suspension! The cockpit hatch opens! Even the brakes are incredible! To top it off, the SIZE! These are so far away from "toys" it isn't even funny! And with some of the price tags ($22,000 to $30,000) NO ONE called them toys:biggrin:
    As for photographing them, let me say it was not easy! This is shooting RC at a whole new level! To top it off, it was VERY overcast with a threat of rain. The sun did finally come out later in the day... I took just under 1,200 shots. Over 560 were keepers. Below is a small sampling...I have more to add later!

All shot with D200 and 200-400VR.
    Here is the teaser as I really want you to take some time to check out the album...
    http://www.pbase.com/cleanmaxx_brian/jets
    original.

2. Wow Brian, I looked in the gallery and those are awesome. The A-10 looks like the real deal and the concord was very cool. Looks like they had some landing mishaps. Is that pretty normal, and what is a typical landing speed?

3. The A10 looks SO real that I can compare it to a real shot I took 2 years ago...
    Reduced size...
    Radio controlled:
    large.

REAL:
    large.

Yes there were a few landing problems mainly with the front gear. There was not much wind to fly into so they were comming in fast! I would say a good 35-40 MPH when the first hit the tarmac and then they hit the brakes hard!

What a site to see!

4. dsp921

dsp921

May 16, 2006
    These are super shots. Very cool planes, and I like the cars, too. Those planes are almost big enough to try to ride :biggrin:

5. GoGo

GoGo

Apr 20, 2006
    New York
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  6. Rick727

Rick727

Jun 1, 2007
    Hamilton, NJ
    Brian, nice shots of some very impressive models.

7. That is just super Brian. The planes look amazing.

8. Thanks all!
    I will try and organize something next year as I think this is pretty challenging even for a pro. And for us newbies, what a rush when we nail one!

I also added 15 shots at the bottom for people who had special requests.

9. Andyc

Andyc

Nov 6, 2006
    South Wales UK
    Amazing shots of amazing models.
    I would love to see something like these in the UK.

Best regards
    Andy

10. thats fantastic and it looks like a lot of fun.

11. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    Great shots and cool RC's. But 25,000 -30,000? WOW

Let's see:

That's a Sigmonster, a 400 f2.8, a 70-200 f2.8, a 200-400 f4, and a 200 f2. Decisions, decisions, decisions. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Not that I have 25,000-30,000:redface:

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    hOLEY )*)(&()*(*^&%^%$$%^*

LOLOL
    fANTASTIC PHOTOGRAPHY

I watched the entire slide show .
    This has got to be really tough shooting.
    I wanna try..lololol

13. sfaribault

sfaribault

Feb 21, 2006
    Colorado
    Looked like a lot of fun !!!! Nice shots.

14. mkawa

mkawa

Apr 25, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Very cool! I've seen these before. The level of dedication needed to get one in the air probably rivals a full sized jet (minus an order of magnitude or two :p)

15. Courtland

Courtland

Oct 19, 2006
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Great photos! I liked PAS4852w.jpg the best. I used to feel bad when I crashed a 1/8 scale nitro car. I don't know what I would do if I crashed one of those jets!