Hows This Gail?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by aman17, Jun 25, 2007.

1. aman17

aman17

Sep 27, 2006
    New Jersey,USA
    Any better?Thanks for your help
    arnie

DSC_3465copycopy.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Yes..The background looks smoother...
    Bird looks a bit better..
    You still have a halo around the bird though. Do you see it??
    Your white is now not blown at all.

This is really a great shot of this bird. Not an easy bird to shoot, I have found out , at least for me.
    I have a couple. But not great.

Her is one of mine. Not to thrilled with it. The red eye shows up pretty good though.

http://www.pbase.com/techwish/image/73224696

If I can assist further let me know..
    Did you shoot raw??

You could send me the file

techwish@bellsouth.net

I will be signing off in a few minutes so will check back with you in the morning:>)))

3. rsprouse

rsprouse

Jan 25, 2006
    Encinitas CA
    Arnie - I'm with Gale - still too much sharpening. Keep in mind, sharpening will only bring out the sharpness that is already in the picture, it cannot fix an image that is really unsharp to begin with. I know, because I struggle with this all the time. Since I got my D2Xs, I have been frequently frustrated, as it is completely unforgiving of flaws in your technique.

I keep telling myself, "practice, practice, practice..." :Unsure:

Good luck.

-- Russ

4. For the lighting and crop, I suspect it would be hard to make it look particularly sharp no matter how you post-process it. It's not a bad picture, but perhaps shouldn't be cropped so tightly.

I generally give some space...even if unnecessarily...
    bird8c.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2007
  5. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

that's lovely Robert ...;-)

6. lol thanks, but it's totally the lens! :biggrin:

7. aman17

aman17

Sep 27, 2006
    New Jersey,USA
    Thanks everyone for the input.I think it's just a habit I have thinking the photo is not sharp enough so I try to make it look sharper.As they say if it's not broken leave it alone
    thanks everyone
    arnie

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Something else I just thought of.
    A CRT monitor sees less sharpening than an LCD.
    So if you are on a CRT be sure you do your sharpening viewing the image at 100%. Sharpening will show up better and you can adjust.
    Usually with my LCD 50 percent will show over sharp. But I will check it also at 100 %

Hope this helps.

What program are you using to process your images and do you have Photoshop

Do you shoot RAW

Which you should:>))))))

9. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

well i think not ...even Adams says u have to be standing in the right spot ..lol
    :wink:

10. Yeah I tend to think it's mostly about being in the right spot at the right time with the right light. In my case, it was kinda dark (you can see how big the bird's pupil is) and I was laying prone to get the shot.

Lens was a cheapie 70-300 Sigma Macro Super II. :cool: I rather miss that lens actually!