HP Laserjet 4L help please

I have an ancient HP Laserjet 4L printer which has been a reliable workhorse for many years. It has never failed!

Today I tried printing on address labels by feeding them in singly from the front loader as described in the manual. It worked fine for about a dozen sheets, but now it won't pull the paper through. The yellow "Paper" light starts blinking after the printing sequence begins.

Any ideas, folks?

After trying Richard's suggestions, if it feeds plain paper ok then try cleaning the feed path with alcohol and a lint free cloth. That is usually the problem although it could be that the rollers are worn out. That happened to an old 4-series that owned. I have a slightly less ancient 2300d now with probably 120k sheets on it (or more). These old HP laser printers are tanks.

Have you opened it fully (including removing the toner cartridge) and checked the paper path is clear?
Will it print on ordinary paper?
Yes, I've opened it and checked under the toner cartridge, and there's no problem there. It prints fine from the paper tray with plain paper. I haven't tried feeding plain paper through the front loader, but that is an obvious test.

After trying Richard's suggestions, if it feeds plain paper ok then try cleaning the feed path with alcohol and a lint free cloth. That is usually the problem although it could be that the rollers are worn out. That happened to an old 4-series that owned. I have a slightly less ancient 2300d now with probably 120k sheets on it (or more). These old HP laser printers are tanks.
I've taken it to the shop where I buy toner cartridges. The guy there is pretty good at maintaining these old printers. He'll have a look first thing tomorrow.

Yes, I've opened it and checked under the toner cartridge, and there's no problem there. It prints fine from the paper tray with plain paper. I haven't tried feeding plain paper through the front loader, but that is an obvious test.

I've taken it to the shop where I buy toner cartridges. The guy there is pretty good at maintaining these old printers. He'll have a look first thing tomorrow.
I suspect it is either one of the rollers in the feed path or the little gadget that "picks" the paper to guide it into the feed path. I never got paid to work on these but I fixed my own in the office sometimes. IIRC, there is a solenoid that activates that little "picker" and that could also be the culprit. It is great that you have someone locally you trust to work on it.

Unfortunately, the verdict is a bad sensor that cannot be repaired.

The guy at the shop loaned me a laserjet 1200 to try. Boy is it fast!

Does anyone have experience with that model?

Doug up some interesting info from fixyourownprinter.com. The Laserjet 4L was produced between '93 and '95, so it's probably 20 years old. The 1200 series I am trying was made between '01 and '03, so it's only about 8 years younger.

The test sheet I printed from the 1200 says "Total pages printed = 3188". Could that really be the total in 11 years?

Doug up some interesting info from fixyourownprinter.com. The Laserjet 4L was produced between '93 and '95, so it's probably 20 years old. The 1200 series I am trying was made between '01 and '03, so it's only about 8 years younger.

The test sheet I printed from the 1200 says "Total pages printed = 3188". Could that really be the total in 11 years?
Sounds low but some folks don't print much. The 1200's were good printers. If you can get it for a good price it will probably serve for many years.

My estimate of how many pages had been through my 2300 was a bit high. :oops: Usage page shows a bit over 30k pages.

Doug up some interesting info ...
Not referring to you, Doug. I meant to say "dug" of course.

Sounds low but some folks don't print much. The 1200's were good printers. If you can get it for a good price it will probably serve for many years.

My estimate of how many pages had been through my 2300 was a bit high. :oops: Usage page shows a bit over 30k pages.
Over 13 years, 3188 pages amounts to about 20 pages/month. That's probably about what my wife and I average with the laserjet.

Does $75 for the LJ 1200 sound like a fair price?

$70-80 looks like the going rate. It listed for $499 new.
I would expect this guy to know the market. Online prices are plus shipping, which is not insignificant. No shipping costs here as it is already sitting on my desk. I'm going to try to find out about the level of toner in this one.

Thanks, John. It's time to close the trouble ticket on this issue as I have bought the Laserjet 1200 and will use both it and the 4L as long as I can. They may outlast me. :LOL:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom