1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

HP5 shows part of Trondheim

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by Nordic Aperture, Aug 11, 2009.

1. I just developed a new roll of HP5, the last one (marina pictures) was prossesed for 11 min. in 1:6 Aculux. This time I prossesed it for 17 min. in 1:9, wich i think gave less grain and better quality on the pictures, all shot with the nikkor 50 f/1.4.

1. Gamle bybro and Nidarosdomen
    3810382087_8f40146efa_o.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Nidarosdomen cathedral
    3811198446_8d41c93ebd_o.jpg

3. Details from a tombestone
    3810354283_6e070e731e_o.jpg

4. and a graveyard fence
    3811171398_a71235cbca_o.jpg

5. Tormod and me are not the only one shooting film in Trondheim, anyone know what kamera this is?
    3811198576_50a1d7811b_o.jpg

2. Ciao
    thanks for the pictures, maybe just the first is a bit too dark, the others are fine. About your question, I think it's a kind of LF camera but I couldn't imagine which. I'd be interested in seeing something inside the cathedral... church interiors are always nice to enjoy, especially when different styles are applied in different parts of the world. Is it a catholic or (more likely, seen the area) protestant one? Or started catholic and then turned protestant by the centuries?

3. Nice series. I like the detail of 2, 3 and 4. As far as the camera, it looks pretty heavy.

4. nice series! i really like #2.

thanks for sharing

5. The camera looks like a 5x7, but it is hard to tell, I certainly think it is larger than 4x5.
    I really like the 'Graveyard Fence'...I love those kinds of shots! Well done!:smile:

6. These turned out great! 1,2, and 4 are my faves, in 4 I really like the soap bubble bokeh
    behind the iron fence detail.

7. Thanks Dino, the first one is to dark because I exposed at the sky, but now I know better next time :wink: The cathedral are very nice inside, and I will try to make som pictures for you, guess I need an iso 3200 since it´s quite dark in there?

Thanks Ray and Roman!

I´ll ask the photographer next time I see him, and thank you for the graveyard fence comment Tim, I like it too! :smile:

Thanks again Bill! The bokeh was in my mind when I looked for an angel to make the shot, and the 50 f/1.4 wide open did it again :biggrin:

8. I like the mood in number one. It has an old world feel. Nice series.

9. DangerKilo

DangerKilo

May 14, 2009
    Georgia
    nice shots!!

This might be a silly question, but I develop HP5 at home, and using Ilford perceptol i think it only takes 7:30 or 8:30 for the 400 speed. Is this time difference due to the aculux, or it it a technique to add / subtract grain? Using HP5 I have never had that much grain in my photos, they always come off pristine...

sorry if this thread jacks... feel free to PM me in response.

Daniel

10. Thanks!
    About the HP5 and Aculux, I did wonder when I scanned the film, because I thought it had very much grain, more than I´ve ever seen in other HP5 pictures here. Since I now know that my FE2 works fine (looking at other shots), I know it´s my (missing) processing skills that make so much grain. I´ve only been developing for some weeks, and with more or less no skills with developing since highschool (more than 20 years ago), I got to learn the "hard way" by trying and failing, and hopefully learn some.

I discovered that I´ve been using a 1:6 (at 20 degr. C) mixture with the Aculux instead of 1:9 when prosessing the HP5 (like this developing sheet says), and my guess is that this probably made so much grain on the pictures. Can anyone confirm this, or am I making some other mistakes?

I love developing the film, but as you see, I got miles to go with the process and how to do things. One of the great things about the café are the possibilities to get good feedback and tips on what to do/not to do. So I appreciate your questions about the grain and the developing process, that might get me to become better with the chemicals, and feel free to use this thread to discuss in! :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.